PDA

View Full Version : New car time - new/used/PCP/loan?

TheCyclingProgrammer
4th March 2014, 11:09
I just posted a bit of an epic post on the MoneySavingExpert forums looking for advice on this and I thought I'd ask here too - I'll spare you the epic and give you the short version.

My first ever car has died. :( Sad day. Seat Ibiza, suspected timing chain jumped, apparently common on 2003 model after 60k miles - I'm not paying them to strip the engine and find out as its only worth about £600. So its getting scrapped.

Not great timing, with a wedding and buying our first house this year, but hey, that's life. Fortunately we've got some emergency and general savings (a few £k) budgeted separately from our other planned expenses so we have a bit of headroom.

First thought was another 5-6 year old used car but I'm very wary of used cars - I paid £4300 for my Seat Ibiza and must have spent about £3k on it in the last 7 years. I don't want to risk another unreliable car. We could buy a banger from our savings and cut our losses if its unreliable but the OH wants a nice, newer, safer car.

I looked into PCH but TBH, whilst this probably offers the lowest monthly cost, I don't like the idea of never owning the car and there is also the risk of minor damage costing us at the end of the lease (not worried about mileage as ours will be low). Also, I've got to consider that when my fiancee passes her test, the risk of her having a minor prang in her first few years of driving is significantly higher - I had a fair few dents and scratches of my own when I first passed (or maybe it was just me :D).

So I'm booked in to test drive a new Ford Fiesta today (one of the 1.0 EcoBoost engines) and I might ask to test drive a Focus too (more on that later). I'm looking at the Zetec model with the Sony DAB/Bluetooth upgrade which works out about £14k after the dealer deposit contribution if we do the PCP financing deal. About £234/month over 2 years (4.2% APR) with a just under £7k balloon payment if we want to keep the car. I like the flexibility but TBH, if we're happy with the car I'd like to buy it and keep it for at least 5 years, so maybe PCP isn't the best choice?

We can't afford a new Focus, but the extra room would be nice so I looked at nearly new cars and had a bit of a revelation. Whilst a 1 year old Fiesta (same model as above) with < 10k miles will save us about £2-3k on the new price, a 1 year old Focus with 15-18k miles saves about £7-8k on a new model - that's a lot more depreciation saved! The upshot is, we could probably get a new Focus 1.0 EcoBoost in a higher spec trim (Titanium instead of Zetec, which comes with the Sony stereo as standard) for around £11k from MotorPoint. We could also look at PCP for this but with a £2k deposit, we could probably finance this with a £9k personal loan. Over 3-4 years, I can get a deal of around 4.5% with monthly payments of around £250/month which is in our affordability range, and we'll own it at the end of the loan. I also think, based on today's used Focus prices, a 6 year old Focus with < 50k mileage will still fetch around £5k if we sell it after 5 years.

So, am I right in saying that I should seriously consider the 1 year old Focus over a new or nearly new Fiesta? Same engine, slightly more room, nicer stuff as standard, much bigger depreciation saving, better finance options. WDYT?

Yes, this was the short version, sorry!

Paddy
4th March 2014, 11:16
Always pay cash for a car and pay what you can afford.

northernladuk
4th March 2014, 11:17
Why only 1 year old? Why not got for 3 years when it has lost half it's value? New cars last a lot longer than the ones of yesteryear.

If you go for the lease options be careful of the extra charges. They charge 10's of pounds for scratches more than an 10cm long, dings, scuffs and picky crap like that which can mount up if you are not going to give it back in perfect nick.

RickRow
4th March 2014, 11:23
So many times I've considered buying new, financing new or leasing, and it's just never anywhere near as cost efficient as buying second hand. And that's leaving room for the cost of repairs and maintenance that wouldn't be covered under any sort of warranty.

I'd always recommend going second hand personally, let the fools with money to burn buy new :smile

DirtyDog
4th March 2014, 11:25
Always pay cash for a car and pay what you can afford.

+1

If you have to take a loan, check the early repayment penalties - if you could add the car loan into your mortgage, then is there a saving to be made there when you get the mortgage? Factor in the loan to your mortgage calculations anyway, since the mortgage provider will ask that anyway.

I'd be looking at something a year or older, to get the better deal - but making sure that you still get a decent warranty on the car.

doodab
4th March 2014, 11:27
First thought was another 5-6 year old used car but I'm very wary of used cars - I paid £4300 for my Seat Ibiza and must have spent about £3k on it in the last 7 years. I don't want to risk another unreliable car. We could buy a banger from our savings and cut our losses if its unreliable but the OH wants a nice, newer, safer car.

So around £1000 a year including repairs. Does that £3k include routine servicing?

So I'm booked in to test drive a new Ford Fiesta today (one of the 1.0 EcoBoost engines) and I might ask to test drive a Focus too (more on that later). I'm looking at the Zetec model with the Sony DAB/Bluetooth upgrade which works out about £14k after the dealer deposit contribution if we do the PCP financing deal. About £234/month over 2 years (4.2% APR) with a just under £7k balloon payment if we want to keep the car. I like the flexibility but TBH, if we're happy with the car I'd like to buy it and keep it for at least 5 years, so maybe PCP isn't the best choice?

So spending nearly £13k on something that will be worth maybe £5k at the end of the period. Does the PCP include maintenance and repairs?

a 1 year old Focus with 15-18k miles saves about £7-8k on a new model - that's a lot more depreciation saved! The upshot is, we could probably get a new Focus 1.0 EcoBoost in a higher spec trim (Titanium instead of Zetec, which comes with the Sony stereo as standard) for around £11k from MotorPoint. We could also look at PCP for this but with a £2k deposit, we could probably finance this with a £9k personal loan. Over 3-4 years, I can get a deal of around 4.5% with monthly payments of around £250/month which is in our affordability range, and we'll own it at the end of the loan. I also think, based on today's used Focus prices, a 6 year old Focus with < 50k mileage will still fetch around £5k if we sell it after 5 years.

So you'll loose £6k in depreciation over 5 years, plus interest on the loan, plus you'll still have to pay for servicing and repairs.

So, am I right in saying that I should seriously consider the 1 year old Focus over a new or nearly new Fiesta? Same engine, slightly more room, nicer stuff as standard, much bigger depreciation saving, better finance options. WDYT?

I think you should but be aware that your cost of motoring is going up.

alluvial
4th March 2014, 11:27
I'd avoid the lease option. If anything goes wrong and you end up benched, then you end up saddled with monthly payments and you can't just send it back without a hefty penalty.

TheCyclingProgrammer
4th March 2014, 11:37
Why only 1 year old? Why not got for 3 years when it has lost half it's value? New cars last a lot longer than the ones of yesteryear.

Because I like the newer models with the EcoBoost engines and still having 2 years manufacturer warranty is attractive to me. I wouldn't rule out 2-3 years old, it just seems like for the sake of a few grand, I may as well get a new/nearly new car.

If you go for the lease options be careful of the extra charges. They charge 10's of pounds for scratches more than an 10cm long, dings, scuffs and picky crap like that which can mount up if you are not going to give it back in perfect nick.

Yes, one of the things that put me off.

TheCyclingProgrammer
4th March 2014, 11:39
If you have to take a loan, check the early repayment penalties - if you could add the car loan into your mortgage, then is there a saving to be made there when you get the mortgage? Factor in the loan to your mortgage calculations anyway, since the mortgage provider will ask that anyway.

I'd be looking at something a year or older, to get the better deal - but making sure that you still get a decent warranty on the car.

Mortgage has been considered and I've spoken to my broker about this. Fortunately the lender he has recommended are willing to lend based on a multiple of last years net profit and are offering to lend far in excess of what we actually need, so no worries on the mortgage affordability front.

I am certainly leaning towards a 1 year old car - if I got the Fiesta is still stands to save a couple of grand and the savings on the Focus, as I mentioned, are much bigger.

TheCyclingProgrammer
4th March 2014, 11:43
So around £1000 a year including repairs. Does that £3k include routine servicing?

No.

So spending nearly £13k on something that will be worth maybe £5k at the end of the period. Does the PCP include maintenance and repairs?

I don't think so but I'll discuss this when I'm at Ford today.

So you'll loose £6k in depreciation over 5 years, plus interest on the loan, plus you'll still have to pay for servicing and repairs.

I think you should but be aware that your cost of motoring is going up.

I'm aware of that, but on the other hand I have a much newer, nicer car than what I had before and hopefully one that is more reliable (obviously there's no guarantees here). I obviously need to sit down and work out the proper TCO over 5 years including servicing etc. as best I can. OTOH, VED is £0 on the Fiesta and £20 on the Focus, versus £135 on my old car, and should also be more fuel efficient saving money in petrol.

Servicing depends on whether or not I do get it done at the main dealer but I'll try and get some ballpark costs from the dealer (and I know the main dealer isn't always the cheapest option).

BlueSharp
4th March 2014, 11:47
I find the best deals are on cars that are those that are just over 3 years old, with one owner and main dealer servicing and under 65k on the clock. As these are typically leased vehicles and would of been well looked after.

Check the 75k service interval as this can be an expensive one, DPF filters on Diesels, timing belts, and use it in the negotiations.

Also pay cash as you don't want a lease agreement during bench time and if you need to sell the car you can. You can also get warranties on such cars.

MicrosoftBob
4th March 2014, 11:47
Unless you drive like a Nigerian granny, I wouldn't buy a car with such a small engine for commuting

TheCyclingProgrammer
4th March 2014, 11:55
Check the 75k service interval as this can be an expensive one, DPF filters on Diesels, timing belts, and use it in the negotiations.

75K service...never going to get anywhere near that!

doodab
I'm aware of that, but on the other hand I have a much newer, nicer car than what I had before

Well this is true. My car isn't cheap to run (~25mpg) and has cost me a small fortune in repairs (~£2k for clutch & flywheel, brakes, 80k cambelt service) but the only things I'd trade it for would cost me even more :happy

TheCyclingProgrammer
Unless you drive like a Nigerian granny, I wouldn't buy a car with such a small engine for commuting

Commuting? What commuting - I work from home! :)

It's a runaround, mainly local driving with the occasional longer journey. I do more an more local trips on my bike these days unless I need to carry a load so can see the wife driving it more than me once she's passed her test.

The 1.0 EcoBoost has rave reviews though; the 100bhp version is equivalent to a 1.4 engine.

On the used front, a quick search on AutoTrader throws up one possibility:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201402121754624/sort/default/usedcars/maximum-age/up_to_4_years_old/postcode/rm81na/model/fiesta/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/maximum-mileage/up_to_40000_miles/transmission/manual/page/1/price-to/7000/make/ford/quantity-of-doors/5/fuel-type/petrol/radius/5?logcode=p

I've sent a message to see if its still available, but that looks pretty decent to me. Cat D, allegedly due to stolen bumper, but not too bothered as long as it doesn't affect insurance premium.

stek
4th March 2014, 11:58
Commuting? What commuting - I work from home! :)

It's a runaround, mainly local driving with the occasional longer journey. I do more an more local trips on my bike these days unless I need to carry a load so can see the wife driving it more than me once she's passed her test.

Get a ten year old Pug 206 for that then!

Scruff
4th March 2014, 11:58

Agreed. I have the occasional rental car and the eco rubbish are dreadful on the motorway and any incline. Rev rev rev rev change down change up rev rev rev ad nauseum. Convert petrol to irritation.

I would buy the 3-4 year old Focus or Astra any day in diesel, even though I'm a Petrolhead. My 2 daily drivers have 8.2 litres of relatively high performance engines and I drive my wife's 2.0 litre diesel for long motorway cruising quite happily.

CoolCat
4th March 2014, 12:38
You could always get a Dacia Sandero for a lot less money new, and a lot better than you would think

Scruff
4th March 2014, 12:45
You could always get a Dacia Sandero for a lot less money new, and a lot better than you would think

Top Gear might have a lightly used one for sale. You could harvest the celebrity DNA and sell on 'Bay :cool:

TheCyclingProgrammer
4th March 2014, 12:46
The feedback so far has been useful, thanks. I'm arranging to go and see the 1.6 Fiesta I posted above this afternoon. TBH, I've almost convinced myself. £6.2k, 22K miles, looks to be in very good condition, only 4 years old (so still latest model but not with the recent facelift). High end trim, has all the extras I want.

Only sticking point is the Cat D issue. Is this really something to worry about?

As was posted above, even if I'm really unlucky and end up spending £3k on this one, its still cost me less overall. However, in all likelihood I'm sure this will be a bit more reliable than my 2003 Seat Ibiza.

MicrosoftBob
4th March 2014, 12:49
As you work from home and just need a run about, why not consider one of those rent by the hour car schemes it could work out cheaper ?

Scruff
4th March 2014, 12:53
Cat D Focus. Run like Usain Bolt.

There are gazillions of them which don't have that blight for similar money. Look on Autotrader or Pistonheads classifieds.

There is a Cat D Focus titanium on Autotrader being sold by Said Motors under £5k

Saw this car on Auto Trader’s Android App. Thought you might be interested. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201304176316988

CoolCat
4th March 2014, 13:06
The feedback so far has been useful, thanks. I'm arranging to go and see the 1.6 Fiesta I posted above this afternoon. TBH, I've almost convinced myself. £6.2k, 22K miles, looks to be in very good condition, only 4 years old (so still latest model but not with the recent facelift). High end trim, has all the extras I want.

Only sticking point is the Cat D issue. Is this really something to worry about?

As was posted above, even if I'm really unlucky and end up spending £3k on this one, its still cost me less overall. However, in all likelihood I'm sure this will be a bit more reliable than my 2003 Seat Ibiza.

Are you crazy? You can have a brand new Dacia Sandero Ambiance for £6,795.00 why would you want to have a knackered old Cat D Fiesta?

doodab
4th March 2014, 13:06

Well it indicates the insurance company thought it wasn't worth repairing, so the damage must have been quite extensive. Clearly someone else disagreed, but you'll want to have it thoroughly inspected. It'll reduce the resale value as well I'd think.

I'd avoid it personally.

TheCyclingProgrammer
4th March 2014, 13:11
Well it indicates the insurance company thought it wasn't worth repairing, so the damage must have been quite extensive. Clearly someone else disagreed, but you'll want to have it thoroughly inspected. It'll reduce the resale value as well I'd think.

I'd avoid it personally.

Apparently it was Cat D due to theft. If the damage was extensive it would be Cat C surely? Cat D write offs can be anything so I will see what documentation the driver has.

TheCyclingProgrammer
4th March 2014, 13:11
Are you crazy? You can have a brand new Dacia Sandero Ambiance for £6,795.00 why would you want to have a knackered old Cat D Fiesta?

Absolutely no evidence of it being "knackered".

eek
4th March 2014, 13:14

I'd avoid it personally.

Nope some lease companies (Lex) will mark any accident as a Cat d because they can.....

I would avoid a cat d car personally though as you don't know what the actual accident was.

TheCyclingProgrammer
4th March 2014, 13:23
All things considered, if I want to push for this Cat D Fiesta, what do you think I should be aiming for price wise on negotiation.

SueEllen
4th March 2014, 13:32
All things considered, if I want to push for this Cat D Fiesta, what do you think I should be aiming for price wise on negotiation.

If you are getting married and want to keep the car for around 5 years why are you getting such a small one?

Least with a medium size car you can easily fit a kid, their stuff and your stuff.

CoolCat
4th March 2014, 13:34

free would be the only price I would accept

I could do you a much better deal on my car which is pretty much perfect and much newer...

TheCyclingProgrammer
4th March 2014, 13:40
If you are getting married and want to keep the car for around 5 years why are you getting such a small one?

Least with a medium size car you can easily fit a kid, their stuff and your stuff.

We managed with my Ibiza, but I'm considering a Focus for just this reason.

TheCyclingProgrammer
4th March 2014, 16:33
So, test drive was good but as much as the OH wants a new car, the more I think about it the more I just can't stomach spending that much money on a new car.

Currently looking at 3 year old Fiesta's instead. Still seem to be in the £7-9k range but at least a chunk of the depreciation has gone. Some low-ish mileage cars out there in that range.

I checked out the Cat D car and whilst it looked immaculate and I had no reason not to trust the guy selling it, it was the person who owned it before him that had had the bumper stolen so who knows. Also, lost service manual so no written service history. The guy seemed to have a genuine reason to sell it and would take £6k for it but I've decided to pass on it.

sasguru
4th March 2014, 16:54
You seem to want durability and reliability in a car and you don't care about image.
So why buy a Ford?
Get a Honda or Toyota (or indeed almost any Jap car) and they'll last you years with low repair bills.

northernladuk
4th March 2014, 16:57
You seem to want durability and reliability in car and you don't care about image.
So why buy a Ford?
Get a Honda or Toyota (or indeed almost any Jap car) and they'll last you years with low repair bills.

Agreed and the Civic is a lot more funky than the Fords.

TheCyclingProgrammer
4th March 2014, 18:02
You seem to want durability and reliability in a car and you don't care about image.
So why buy a Ford?

I'm open minded, but there doesn't seem to be much in it price-wise. AFAIK, Fiestas and Focuses are fairly reliable although Focuses tend to have higher mileage and depreciate more.

TBH, I'm leaning towards the 1 year old Ford Focus Titanium for £11299 (there are some £300 cheaper but not at the MotorPoint near me). It's still more than I'd really like to pay, but its bigger than a Fiesta, has 2 years manufacturer warranty left on it and TBH, if I got it I'd be quite happy to hold on to it for up to 10 years, which would mean my annual motoring cost isn't largely different from what it is now.

If my ropey old Seat Ibiza lasted 11 years and 70k miles (and I may have just been unlucky), I'm sure I can make a Focus last 10 years at approx. 5k miles a year. Any decent modern car, if looked after and serviced correctly, should surely be able to do 100k miles without many problems?

sasguru
4th March 2014, 19:04
I'm open minded, but there doesn't seem to be much in it price-wise. AFAIK, Fiestas and Focuses are fairly reliable although Focuses tend to have higher mileage and depreciate more.

TBH, I'm leaning towards the 1 year old Ford Focus Titanium for £11299 (there are some £300 cheaper but not at the MotorPoint near me). It's still more than I'd really like to pay, but its bigger than a Fiesta, has 2 years manufacturer warranty left on it and TBH, if I got it I'd be quite happy to hold on to it for up to 10 years, which would mean my annual motoring cost isn't largely different from what it is now.

If my ropey old Seat Ibiza lasted 11 years and 70k miles (and I may have just been unlucky), I'm sure I can make a Focus last 10 years at approx. 5k miles a year. Any decent modern car, if looked after and serviced correctly, should surely be able to do 100k miles without many problems?

Jeez! You want to pay £11.3K for a fooking Focus? You seem to be fixated on Foci. For that sort of cash you could get a half-decent Octavia VRS or a Mazda 6 2.2, cars that have some oomph and are still fun to drive.
I don't know, some people :facepalm::face palm: Sheesh.

here's a question you should ask yourself. What do mini-cabbies drive? It's almost always a Jap saloon. There's a reason for that.

TheCyclingProgrammer
4th March 2014, 19:49
OK, seeing as you think I'm crazy (and I might agree...I keep going back and forth and maybe that should be telling me something).

On the slightly lower end of the spectrum, 1.4L 5dr Corsa, 2 years old with 5K on the clock, going for just under £6k. That's a little bit more comfortable...going by reviews Corsas seem to rank below Polos and Fiestas but still seem well rated.

sasguru
4th March 2014, 21:07
OK, seeing as you think I'm crazy (and I might agree...I keep going back and forth and maybe that should be telling me something).

On the slightly lower end of the spectrum, 1.4L 5dr Corsa, 2 years old with 5K on the clock, going for just under £6k. That's a little bit more comfortable...going by reviews Corsas seem to rank below Polos and Fiestas but still seem well rated.

No, no no....you're doing this all wrong.
It seems you want to get a small/medium-sized reliable car to keep for a long time with small bills? Correct?
Then get a Honda Civic or a Toyota Auris.
Easy peasy. A good one will easily last for 10 years with minimal maintenance.

northernladuk
4th March 2014, 21:09
No, no no....you're doing this all wrong.
It seems you want to get a small/medium-sized reliable car to keep for a long time with small bills? Correct?
Then get a Honda Civic or a Toyota Auris.
Easy peasy. A good one will easily last for 10 years with minimal maintenance.

And did I mention the Civics are dead funky.

sasguru
4th March 2014, 21:12
And did I mention the Civics are dead funky.

I don't think he cares about looks. But he should be swayed by durability, reliability and reasonable costs.

SteelyDan
4th March 2014, 21:20
So I'm booked in to test drive a new Ford Fiesta today (one of the 1.0 EcoBoost engines) and I might ask to test drive a Focus too (more on that later).
We can't afford a new Focus...
So, am I right in saying that I should seriously consider the 1 year old Focus over a new or nearly new Fiesta?

Seriously, are you sure you're a contractor?

A Ford (insert any type really) especially a Fiesta/Focus is not cut out to be a contractor's car...:smokin

Goatfell
4th March 2014, 21:22
Seriously, are you sure you're a contractor?

A Ford (insert any type really) especially a Fiesta/Focus is not cut out to be a contractor's car...:smokin

C'mon, GT40 shirley :glasses

SueEllen
4th March 2014, 21:31
Also, lost service manual so no written service history.

Not worth the paper it's written on.

I have several friends who got their service books stamped by the garage they started to use regularly a year or three later.

Also there was an old scram where people use to fake main dealer stamps.

When I get rid of old cars I just hand the buyer my servicing and MOT receipts. (Happens at the same time.) They can walk around to the garage and check with them if they want as it's all on computer.

vetran
4th March 2014, 23:59
mighty mondeo number 2 (last one was a write off with an idiot driving in the side leading to £500 repairs) still going. costs < £600 a year including insurance. If you aren't doing any miles then it being a non eco car isn't much of an issue.

Dirt cheap as well, anyone can fix them.

Or a Honda, they seem to just go.

Cash not loan!

northernladuk
5th March 2014, 00:20
I don't think he cares about looks. But he should be swayed by durability, reliability and reasonable costs.

and he can have all those and a funky car as well. Bargain!!

northernladuk
5th March 2014, 00:21
mighty mondeo number 2 (last one was a write off with an idiot driving in the side leading to £500 repairs) still going. costs < £600 a year including insurance. If you aren't doing any miles then it being a non eco car isn't much of an issue.

Dirt cheap as well, anyone can fix them.

Or a Honda, they seem to just go.

and did you know they are quite funky!

NorthWestPerm2Contr
5th March 2014, 09:09
No.

I don't think so but I'll discuss this when I'm at Ford today.

I'm aware of that, but on the other hand I have a much newer, nicer car than what I had before and hopefully one that is more reliable (obviously there's no guarantees here). I obviously need to sit down and work out the proper TCO over 5 years including servicing etc. as best I can. OTOH, VED is £0 on the Fiesta and £20 on the Focus, versus £135 on my old car, and should also be more fuel efficient saving money in petrol.

Servicing depends on whether or not I do get it done at the main dealer but I'll try and get some ballpark costs from the dealer (and I know the main dealer isn't always the cheapest option).

I think your problem is you chose the wrong car. Plenty of Diesel VW Golfs/Bora, Skoda Octavia and VW Passats on the road that have done up to 200,000 miles with just servicing, changing of brakes, cam belt done to them.

Seat Ibiza is a cheapened VW polo and by the sounds of it you were unlucky in what you ended up with.

If you are really wanting to save money then get a Japanese car with low mileage that has been driven by an old lady (for her monthly shop). almost 4 years ago I bought a Toyota Corolla with 6,000 miles on it that was 6 years old, I kid you not it looked like it had just been driven out of the showroom. cost me 5750 and Mrs has been driving it for 4 years. Only maintenance I have done is yearly service and 1 break pads change in 4 years!

Antman
5th March 2014, 09:28
+1 for the jap cars (I'll take NLUK's word about the funkiness of the civic though)

NorthWestPerm2Contr
5th March 2014, 09:29

You can get a pretty damn good car for that amount of money. Can't see the point in getting a Fiesta tbh. I'd always go German or Jap for a run around car.

original PM
5th March 2014, 09:48
there are soo many used cars you can get (non cat d) which cost less than 5k and will give you a good few years of trouble free motoring...

just go onto autotrader put in your parameters and away you go...

to help you click Link (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/postcode/wa42qs/radius/1500/price-to/5000/maximum-mileage/up_to_20000_miles/quantity-of-doors/5/sort/default/maximum-age/up_to_2_years_old/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/price-from/4000)

DimPrawn
5th March 2014, 09:54
The base price of a Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost titanium is £15K. Chuck in some options and you are looking at £17K for a city car with a Ford badge.

Anyone else think that's a bit mental?

original PM
5th March 2014, 09:55
The base price of a Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost titanium is £15K. Chuck in some options and you are looking at £17K for a city car with a Ford badge.

yep

fookin bonkers

NorthWestPerm2Contr
5th March 2014, 09:57

I'm looking at buying a BMW 330d/320d which is a couple of years old for that amount of money. Ludicrous

TheCyclingProgrammer
5th March 2014, 12:18
OH seems pretty set on getting a car no more than 3 years old, so we're still thinking about it, but still seem pretty set on the nearly new Focus. I haven't quite come to terms with spending that amount of money but hey, it should pay for itself in the long run.

The only possible spanner in the works is the Hyundai i30 which seems to be quite well kitted out even in the basic trim and has a lot of good reviews that rank it up there with the Focus (although not quite up to Golf standards). The entry level i30 would save us a couple of grand. I know everybody says Japanese cars are reliable, not so sure about Korean. We are going to test drive both. Oh, and it has a transferrable 5 year warranty too, so we'd still have 4 years warranty left on a 1 year old one, vs only 2 on a Focus.

TheCyclingProgrammer
5th March 2014, 12:20

We've definitely ruled out a new car, including the Fiesta. If I wanted to get a Fiesta Titanium, I'd buy the 4 year old one in mint condition I looked at yesterday for £8700.

But we've decided that if we're thinking longer term and want to own the car for as long as possible, we could do with the extra space a Focus or equivalent brings.

I certainly wouldn't buy a Focus new, given the amount of money they lose in the first year, but longer term I'm not so worried about depreciation. If we can make a nearly new Focus last 10 years, then our overall annual motoring cost won't have increased much at all.

All the reviews say if you want a family sized hatch, the choice is between a Focus or Golf, with the i30 and Mazda 3 as possible options. There's the Seat Leon too, but lets just say I'm off the idea of a Seat.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
5th March 2014, 12:23
OH seems pretty set on getting a car no more than 3 years old, so we're still thinking about it, but still seem pretty set on the nearly new Focus. I haven't quite come to terms with spending that amount of money but hey, it should pay for itself in the long run.

The only possible spanner in the works is the Hyundai i30 which seems to be quite well kitted out even in the basic trim and has a lot of good reviews that rank it up there with the Focus (although not quite up to Golf standards). The entry level i30 would save us a couple of grand. I know everybody says Japanese cars are reliable, not so sure about Korean. We are going to test drive both. Oh, and it has a transferrable 5 year warranty too, so we'd still have 4 years warranty left on a 1 year old one, vs only 2 on a Focus.

Why would you get a s**t car for 6k that is 3 years old when you can get a great car for 6k that is 5 years old?

Toyota Auris 1.6 V-Matic TR 5dr MM [6] (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201311019590633)

Full dealership history and will run forever. done 26k and will do another 126k without a problem.

Find one privately and you can get another 1k off that price.

TheCyclingProgrammer
5th March 2014, 12:25
Why would you get a s**t car for 6k that is 3 years old when you can get a great car for 6k that is 5 years old?

Toyota Auris 1.6 V-Matic TR 5dr MM [6] (http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201311019590633)

Full dealership history and will run forever. done 26k and will do another 126k without a problem.

What tulip car? I'm looking at a 1 year old car (Focus/i30) in the region of £8-11k. None of the reviews out there (and there are loads) would suggest that either of these are shit cars.

Auris reviews don't seem that great in comparison to a Focus/i30 etc.

DimPrawn
5th March 2014, 12:31
If all that concerns you is warranty get a Kia with 7 years warranty.

Their latest cars are pretty good too.

TheCyclingProgrammer
5th March 2014, 12:35
If all that concerns you is warranty get a Kia with 7 years warranty.

Their latest cars are pretty good too.

No, it's not the only thing, but the 5 year warranty adds to the selling points of the i30. I looked at Kia's and the reviews seemed pretty rubbish.

Fred Bloggs
5th March 2014, 12:43
A vote for Hyundai here. Mrs Bloggs and the kids share two i20's between them. We've had the i20's for three and a bit years. Both motors trouble free other than a minor gearbox leak on one of them, fixed under the five year warranty. You could do a lot worse than an i30 in my opinion.

I'm also a Skoda fan, I drive a Superb 4x4 diesel, in the i30 class you could look at an Octavia, a very nice motor. No five year warranty though, but they are very reliable and well put together.

doodab
5th March 2014, 12:52

You could have 5 ageing Audi A4 Quattros for that, including a new clutch, brakes and a cambelt service.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
5th March 2014, 13:12
What tulip car? I'm looking at a 1 year old car (Focus/i30) in the region of £8-11k. None of the reviews out there (and there are loads) would suggest that either of these are tulip cars.

Reviews of a new Focus will tell you how it drives, fuel economy, resale value etc. not how reliable and robust they will be 10 years down the line. Fords are decent, but that is all they are. I'd buy a ford rather than a French or Italian car but I'd never buy one over a German/Jap car. Still rolling in my 1.9 Golf TDI (54 plate). Engine runs as smooth as new.

sasguru
5th March 2014, 14:54
What tulip car? I'm looking at a 1 year old car (Focus/i30) in the region of £8-11k. None of the reviews out there (and there are loads) would suggest that either of these are tulip cars.

I'm not going to say you're a bit thick, just that you clearly don't know how how the motor market works.:tongue
Reviews are done by journalists who get given brand new cars to test. All cars feel good new, Focuses drive well when new.
Reviews don't reflect a 6-7 year car old generally, how reliable they are, how much it costs to maintain etc.
Look for some data like JD Power etc - they'll tell you Fords are mid-position in terms of reliability and durability - Hondas come near top.
The one decent suggestion you've made, according to your own criteria, is the Hyundai i30.
FFS

DimPrawn
5th March 2014, 14:56
I'm not going to say you're a bit thick, just that you clearly don't know how how the motor market works.:tongue
Reviews are done by journalists who get given brand new cars to test. All cars feel good new, Focuses drive well when new.
Reviews don't reflect a 6-7 year car old generally, how reliable they are, how much it costs to maintain etc.
Look for some data like JD Power etc - they'll tell you Fords are mid-position in terms of reliability and durability - Hondas come near top.
The one decent suggestion you've made, according to your own criteria, is the Hyundai i30.
FFS

Are you trying to say that Swindonians are the best car makers in the World?

TheCyclingProgrammer
5th March 2014, 16:08
FFS

I'm certainly not ruling it out. All things considered, it seems comparable to the Focus, has a bit more boot space, is well kitted out on even the basic model, will have double the warranty on a 1 year old car vs the Focus and will save us at least a grand. I need to test drive one though.

original PM
5th March 2014, 16:14
I'm certainly not ruling it out. All things considered, it seems comparable to the Focus, has a bit more boot space, is well kitted out on even the basic model, will have double the warranty on a 1 year old car vs the Focus and will save us at least a grand. I need to test drive one though.

probably not - driveability was not one of your criteria!

NorthWestPerm2Contr
5th March 2014, 16:17
FFS

I already said something along those lines SAS. Stop stealing my thunder

TheCyclingProgrammer
5th March 2014, 16:25
probably not - driveability was not one of your criteria!

It's not necessarily the most important but I still need to like driving it.

The pros for the i30 do continue to line up...insurance is a bit cheaper compared to the Focus too. OTOH, the 1.4 petrol engine isn't going to be as efficient or eco-friendly as the Ford EcoBoost engine and will cost an extra £125 a year in VED. I can live with that though.

There are eco diesel engines on the i30 but they are pricier and I'm not sure I'll see the benefit with mostly small local trips and only the occasional long journey. Is that right?

NorthWestPerm2Contr
5th March 2014, 16:27

Go to:

Home - Car Reliability Index | Reliability Index | How reliable is your car? (http://www.reliabilityindex.com/)

see where Ford cars lie in the top 100. If you have your heart set on a ford then go buy one! Otherwise if you are looking for good value then you are barking up the wrong street IMO. Go to Toyota/Honda and see what they have on offer.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
5th March 2014, 16:28

The pros for the i30 do continue to line up...insurance is a bit cheaper compared to the Focus too. OTOH, the 1.4 petrol engine isn't going to be as efficient or eco-friendly as the Ford EcoBoost engine and will cost an extra £125 a year in VED. I can live with that though.

There are eco diesel engines on the i30 but they are pricier and I'm not sure I'll see the benefit with mostly small local trips and only the occasional long journey. Is that right?

For local trips there is no point in diesel. Get a nice petrol car and you will be far better off.

sasguru
5th March 2014, 16:59
For local trips there is no point in diesel. Get a nice petrol car and you will be far better off.

Not only that on some diesel cars, short trips where the engine doesn't warm up properly result in DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) problems.
If you do short trips in an urban environment get a petrol car for sure.
The 1.4 Hyundai i30 petrol is a fine town car - tried and tested, does what it says on the tin. Better than a Focus for everything apart from the driving dynamics, but you won't notice that in town anyway.

HTH

TheCyclingProgrammer
5th March 2014, 17:23
Go to:

Home - Car Reliability Index | Reliability Index | How reliable is your car? (http://www.reliabilityindex.com/)

see where Ford cars lie in the top 100. If you have your heart set on a ford then go buy one! Otherwise if you are looking for good value then you are barking up the wrong street IMO. Go to Toyota/Honda and see what they have on offer.

My heart isn't set on Ford and TBH, I'm almost sold on the i30. Still going to drive both tomorrow but if I forget the fancy Sony DAB radio on the Focus, I'm not sure there is much more going for it to justify the extra grand (its supposedly a more fun drive but that's not a deal breaker).

TheCyclingProgrammer
5th March 2014, 17:24
Not only that on some diesel cars, short trips where the engine doesn't warm up properly result in DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) problems.
If you do short trips in an urban environment get a petrol car for sure.
The 1.4 Hyundai i30 petrol is a fine town car - tried and tested, does what it says on the tin. Better than a Focus for everything apart from the driving dynamics, but you won't notice that in town anyway.

HTH

Thanks - that's exactly what I've been reading re: the DPF. I maybe do one medium distance drive a week (from East to North London which isn't really far) and everything else will be relatively local. Seems like the 1.4l petrol will do the job.

BoredBloke
6th March 2014, 09:18
Go to:

VW Passat scores worse than the Mondeo. I'm on my third mondeo, the current one is on a 55 plate. I got it on 49k and its on 116k now. I've had 7 years but over the last 4 years its not done a huge amount of work as I've been working overseas and in London - just the odd long blast up and down the motorways, but in the 66k its done for me, all I have ever had to replace are tyres, brakes and the normal stuff that goes with wear and tear. I'm looking to replace it now though as its pumping out tons of black shit at low revs and because I fancy a change......the change being a new Mondeo!

Antman
6th March 2014, 09:23
VW Passat scores worse than the Mondeo. I'm on my third mondeo, the current one is on a 55 plate. I got it on 49k and its on 116k now. I've had 7 years but over the last 4 years its not done a huge amount of work as I've been working overseas and in London - just the odd long blast up and down the motorways, but in the 66k its done for me, all I have ever had to replace are tyres, brakes and the normal stuff that goes with wear and tear. I'm looking to replace it now though as its pumping out tons of black tulip at low revs and because I fancy a change......the change being a new Mondeo!

Someone who works at a ford dealership told me that they haven't prepared a mondeo in ages all they are doing now are foci.

Platypus
6th March 2014, 09:27
the 1.4 petrol engine isn't going to be as eco-friendly as the Ford EcoBoost engine

Quite right! Choose an eco-friendly engine and delay the global warming / climate change crisis by a nanosecond if that.

To do anything less would be a wanton act of eco vandalism.

:rolleyes:

I'm enjoying this thread! Shall I say something constructive too? Thank goodness you've abandoned the Fiesta idea!

TheCyclingProgrammer
6th March 2014, 09:52
Sorry, when I said "Eco friendly" I really meant cheaper to run. Saving the planet by driving a slightly less polluting car wasn't what I had in mind! ;)

Anyway, off to test drive the i30 today. Having reviewed the extra features on the Active model we have decided that none of them are worth paying another grand, so we are looking at the entry level trim which can be had for £8798, 1 year old. £2k saving over the Focus. I'm not sure I should even bother test driving the Focus now.

lukemg
6th March 2014, 10:37
First, forget cheaper to run, your mileage means the engine choice is irrelevant to the costs, you could buy a 4 litre and it won’t make much difference.
So – you are starting with a car and fitting requirements around it, wrong way round.
You need:
- Small to Medium hatchback.
- 1-3 years old.
- Run of the mill – you don’t care about cars.
- Reliable – they mostly are these days.
- Keeping long term, so depreciation an issue but will level out over 10 years.
- About 10k tops
So:
Don’t get a diesel, get a 1.6 or 2 litre petrol (short journeys and low miles)
You are on the right track – Focus, Civic, Astra etc.
Hyundai’s would do the job, but expect nothing when you want to get rid.
Don’t worry about current mileage so much, your low miles will pull it back to average over time.
So – it’s simple – which VW Golf do you like ?

NorthWestPerm2Contr
6th March 2014, 10:51
First, forget cheaper to run, your mileage means the engine choice is irrelevant to the costs, you could buy a 4 litre and it won’t make much difference.
So – you are starting with a car and fitting requirements around it, wrong way round.
You need:
- Small to Medium hatchback.
- 1-3 years old.
- Run of the mill – you don’t care about cars.
- Reliable – they mostly are these days.
- Keeping long term, so depreciation an issue but will level out over 10 years.
- About 10k tops
So:
Don’t get a diesel, get a 1.6 or 2 litre petrol (short journeys and low miles)
You are on the right track – Focus, Civic, Astra etc.
Hyundai’s would do the job, but expect nothing when you want to get rid.
Don’t worry about current mileage so much, your low miles will pull it back to average over time.
So – it’s simple – which VW Golf do you like ?

Well that or a Jap car. You want to be able to sell it on without too much headache after x years. Golf depreciation is the best in it's class. I bought mine for 6700 almost 4 years ago and it is still worth over 3.5k. You won't get much back for a Ford or Hyundai.

lilelvis2000
6th March 2014, 11:01
There are some manufacturers out there with 7 year warranties. So if you pick up a 3y/o car you've still got 4 years warranty left.

My wife is brill at picking up well worn (read: knackered) cars and driving them for a couple of years before getting another. We are talking cars here that sell for £500 with a dodgy MOT. Given a new car loses more than that in the first year, she's saving money. Still get ripped off on the insurance though.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
6th March 2014, 11:03
There are some manufacturers out there with 7 year warranties. So if you pick up a 3y/o car you've still got 4 years warranty left.

My wife is brill at picking up well worn (read: knackered) cars and driving them for a couple of years before getting another. We are talking cars here that sell for £500 with a dodgy MOT. Given a new car loses more than that in the first year, she's saving money. Still get ripped off on the insurance though.

Better off getting a low depreciation car and selling it at a certain point or buying it at that same point and running it to the ground. No point driving a banger around.

TheCyclingProgrammer
6th March 2014, 11:04
I appreciate the Golf is best in class and has the highest residuals. But I think it's outside our budget. I've taken on board the feedback on this thread and weighed up the various models in the class and have narrowed it down to the Focus or the i30.

There really doesn't seem to be much between them. The Ford is meant to be more fun to drive but that's not a concern. I think the i30 looks ok. It comes with a lot more kit as standard so we can happily get the entry model whereas with the Ford you're looking at getting at least a Zetec to get a half decent spec. But most importantly, the cheapest nearly new Focus is nearly £2k more.

Yes, the Focus will get more money when I sell it on but I'd rather save money now than later. If business continues to be good, I'm not going to care in a few years about the lower residual value on the i30. I DO care about saving right now though.

TBH I'm pretty fed up with researching car after car after car. Buying a new car should be enjoyable but it's been nothing but a source of anxiety for me. Unless I really hate the i30 when I see it and drive it, I'm pretty sure that's what we are going to get.

SueEllen
6th March 2014, 11:09
It's a source of anxiety because you are indecisive.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
6th March 2014, 11:11
I appreciate the Golf is best in class and has the highest residuals. But I think it's outside our budget. I've taken on board the feedback on this thread and weighed up the various models in the class and have narrowed it down to the Focus or the i30.

There really doesn't seem to be much between them. The Ford is meant to be more fun to drive but that's not a concern. I think the i30 looks ok. It comes with a lot more kit as standard so we can happily get the entry model whereas with the Ford you're looking at getting at least a Zetec to get a half decent spec. But most importantly, the cheapest nearly new Focus is nearly £2k more.

Yes, the Focus will get more money when I sell it on but I'd rather save money now than later. If business continues to be good, I'm not going to care in a few years about the lower residual value on the i30. I DO care about saving right now though.

TBH I'm pretty fed up with researching car after car after car. Buying a new car should be enjoyable but it's been nothing but a source of anxiety for me. Unless I really hate the i30 when I see it and drive it, I'm pretty sure that's what we are going to get.

How on earth is it outside your budget? I bought one from a vw dealer for 6700 with 1 year warranty and 50,000 miles. I'd rather have that than a Fiesta with 10,000 miles.

Fred Bloggs
6th March 2014, 11:17
You're on the right track with an i30, good, reliable motor.

BoredBloke
6th March 2014, 11:20
Someone who works at a ford dealership told me that they haven't prepared a mondeo in ages all they are doing now are foci.

There still seems to be a lot of them on the road and generally they get good reviews. My wife has a 2008 focus 1.8 petrol and its ok, but I prefer my older mondeo on long runs - its cheaper in terms of fuel and better to drive on the motorway

doodab
6th March 2014, 11:22
Buying a new car should be enjoyable but it's been nothing but a source of anxiety for me.

That's because you're faced with a choice of several slightly naff cars and you know whatever happens you'll end up with a naff car.

TheCyclingProgrammer
6th March 2014, 11:31
It's a source of anxiety because you are indecisive.

Well you've got that right. ;)

TheCyclingProgrammer
6th March 2014, 11:32
That's because you're faced with a choice of several slightly naff cars and you know whatever happens you'll end up with a naff car.

If you say so.

TheCyclingProgrammer
6th March 2014, 11:33
How on earth is it outside your budget? I bought one from a vw dealer for 6700 with 1 year warranty and 50,000 miles. I'd rather have that than a Fiesta with 10,000 miles.

I don't want a car with that mileage. It's that simple.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
6th March 2014, 11:36
I don't want a car with that mileage. It's that simple.

That's cos it was Diesel that I paid that much. Make it petrol and add another 1k and you can get a low mileage Golf which you can sell in a few years easily and without much lost. Then again if you want a naff ford/Hyundai then go for it!

d000hg
6th March 2014, 11:36
FFSOne only has to look at what's on the road to see just how prevalent the 2000-era Focus (and Fiesta) are. Obviously there are loads because it's a very popular mass-market car, but the number around from 2003 or even pre-2000 suggest those models at least have excellent reliability.

Newer ones though - so much electronic stuff to go wrong! And then modern engines are much more complicated too.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
6th March 2014, 11:44
One only has to look at what's on the road to see just how prevalent the 2000-era Focus (and Fiesta) are. Obviously there are loads because it's a very popular mass-market car, but the number around from 2003 or even pre-2000 suggest those models at least have excellent reliability.

Newer ones though - so much electronic stuff to go wrong! And then modern engines are much more complicated too.

One of the reasons they are popular is that they are cheap to buy (after all that depreciation....). I seriously considered getting one instead of a Golf because it was so much cheaper than the equivalent Golf. Then I looked at resale value and realised I would be better off going German. A lot of the time people just look at the price rather than thinking further down the line.....

darmstadt
6th March 2014, 11:48
Actually got round to ordering my new car (new, as new, not second hand) after pfaffing around waiting for other models to be announced. Its in a rather fetching dark metallic blue and has 4 doors but won't be ready until June/July. It also:

Fuel consumption
Urban (l/100km) 10.2
Extra-urban (l/100km) 6.1
Combined (l/100km) 7.6
CO² emissions (g/km) 177
Efficiency category D

Which is quite good as:

Performance
Acceleration 0-100km/h (s) 4.2
Top speed (km/h) 305

NorthWestPerm2Contr
6th March 2014, 11:51
Actually got round to ordering my new car (new, as new, not second hand) after pfaffing around waiting for other models to be announced. Its in a rather fetching dark metallic blue and has 4 doors but won't be ready until June/July. It also:

Fuel consumption
Urban (l/100km) 10.2
Combined (l/100km) 7.6
CO² emissions (g/km) 177
Efficiency category D

Which is quite good as:

Performance
Top speed (km/h) 305

Must be riding some gravy train there dude.

doodab
6th March 2014, 11:56

Fuel consumption
Urban (l/100km) 10.2
Combined (l/100km) 7.6
CO² emissions (g/km) 177
Efficiency category D

Which is quite good as:

Performance
Top speed (km/h) 305

That's quite nippy. What is it?

Good choice of colour BTW.

sasguru
6th March 2014, 12:01
Is this thread still going? FFS buy that Focus already and put us out of our misery.:laugh
It's not worth the discussion for the crappy car you're going to get.
What kind of contractor are you anyway - buy a decent, fun car FFS.
What are you working for - you might as well be a permie.

kevpuk
6th March 2014, 12:02
Audi A1? Great little cars, and good resale etc.
We bought one on PCP, weighing up the options at the time, and still stand by the maths from our point of view.

Mrs Kevpuk has a shiny new one - well, a year old now - and I make do with a 3yr old Jag XF :smokin

TheCyclingProgrammer
6th March 2014, 12:06
Looks like the level of constructive replies to this thread is decreasing rapidly, so I'm done, thanks for those who actually left helpful replies. The snobbery of some of you...

original PM
6th March 2014, 12:08
you have kept us entertained for a while!

but posting about cars in General is always a mine field as we have a number of petrol heads in here who have pretty firm views about what is/is not acceptable!

go for the I30 and screw it till it falls apart

darmstadt
6th March 2014, 12:11
That's quite nippy. What is it?

Good choice of colour BTW.

This (http://www.alpina-automobiles.com/en/models-alpina/b3-biturbo.html), just an upgrade from what I currently have. My current one is now 6 years old and has just over 221,000km on it and still hasn't been in the garage so I think that ain't too bad....

original PM
6th March 2014, 12:13
not fookin cheap though eh!??

NorthWestPerm2Contr
6th March 2014, 12:14
OP:

have a look at this one for example:

Used Volkswagen Cars :: Used Volkswagen Golf 1.4 S (80 PS) : Lightcliffe Volkswagen (Stoke) (http://usedcars.volkswagen.co.uk/vehicle.aspx?wflw=se_na_ve_vi&drv=used-vw-Golf/Golf-MK6-Hatchback-3-Dr/1.4-S-80-PS/Stoke-on-Trent/2285081&vhl=604200075&ctr=827434)

doodab
6th March 2014, 12:17
This (http://www.alpina-automobiles.com/en/models-alpina/b3-biturbo.html), just an upgrade from what I currently have. My current one is now 6 years old and has just over 221,000km on it and still hasn't been in the garage so I think that ain't too bad....

Nice. I saw a (quite old) B3 3.3 estate in the supermarket car park yesterday. Still looked good. I do like the Alpina wheels.

darmstadt
6th March 2014, 12:23
Nice. I saw a (quite old) B3 3.3 estate in the supermarket car park yesterday. Still looked good. I do like the Alpina wheels.

I'm never too sure about the wheels. The current one has the Dynamics for summer which I think look better and Classic for winter. On some models they do look quite good but with the new one it has 20" so it might just do the trick. Frau D. wanted the diesel version which just came out which is, reputedly, the fastest diesel in world and out accelerates a Porsche 911s which is quite impressive but there's a hell of a waiting list for it

NorthWestPerm2Contr
6th March 2014, 12:24
not fookin cheap though eh!??

Damn right it ain't! But then some of us are on rates > £1000/day (not me of course with my cheapo Golf) and not in permie jobs :wink

original PM
6th March 2014, 12:42
Damn right it ain't! But then some of us are on rates > £1000/day (not me of course with my cheapo Golf) and not in permie jobs :wink

:ladybags:

I know where you live!!! (works better if you read it in an Oirish accent)

d000hg
6th March 2014, 13:49
One of the reasons they are popular is that they are cheap to buy (after all that depreciation....). I seriously considered getting one instead of a Golf because it was so much cheaper than the equivalent Golf. Then I looked at resale value and realised I would be better off going German. A lot of the time people just look at the price rather than thinking further down the line.....Um, there can only be as many 2nd hand cars entering the market as there were new ones being sold in the first place. There is a massive 2nd-hand market in Ford cars because there is a massive market for new ones.

The fact you see so many 10-15 year old ones driving around quite happily suggests they are great value because if you can buy a 3-year old car and run it for 10 years without major problems, you are way ahead of the game.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
6th March 2014, 14:47
Um, there can only be as many 2nd hand cars entering the market as there were new ones being sold in the first place. There is a massive 2nd-hand market in Ford cars because there is a massive market for new ones.

The fact you see so many 10-15 year old ones driving around quite happily suggests they are great value because if you can buy a 3-year old car and run it for 10 years without major problems, you are way ahead of the game.

Fair dos. In a sense it is popular because of the value you get for buying new compared to other cars. I still don't get why you would want to buy new considering how much they depreciate. Must be the marketing, salesmen and maybe the quality of the drive......

Antman
6th March 2014, 14:59
TBH I don't understand people talking about handling at this level of cars, that is the vast majority. Super cars (of which I've driven zero) I could understand. What does "the steering seemed dead in the corners" actually mean to me? Nothing, I want something that gets me to work, doesn't break down, and is blue or at a push silver.

sasguru
6th March 2014, 15:00
Fair dos. In a sense it is popular because of the value you get for buying new compared to other cars. I still don't get why you would want to buy new considering how much they depreciate. Must be the marketing, salesmen and maybe the quality of the drive......

If you've got the money, mortgage paid off etc it's nice to have a crisp, new smell, pristine car. Why not?
Having said which my latest purchase for the missus was a 1 year old BMW-approved 3-series tourer which was mint and about £10k under new price.

NorthWestPerm2Contr
6th March 2014, 15:26
If you've got the money, mortgage paid off etc it's nice to have a crisp, new smell, pristine car. Why not?
Having said which my latest purchase for the missus was a 1 year old BMW-approved 3-series tourer which was mint and about £10k under new price.

Exactly my point - you can get maximum value by buying close to new and then selling a few years later. Buying new makes no financial sense unless money really is no object i.e you are sasguru.

TheCyclingProgrammer
6th March 2014, 15:58
you have kept us entertained for a while!

but posting about cars in General is always a mine field as we have a number of petrol heads in here who have pretty firm views about what is/is not acceptable!

go for the I30 and screw it till it falls apart

Well, got back and I really liked the car. It was nice and comfortable to drive; yes it's not going to give me driving thrills, but hey that's what track days are for.

Safe, reliable (hopefully), probably the best price you'll get for a car of it's size and age and a decent warranty. We put down the £300 deposit and we should pick it up next Tuesday (it has to be brought down from the Birmingham showroom).

I'm glad I kept you all entertained, you bastards. I'm going off now to actually look forward to getting my shiny new car... ;)

Oh...one last thing in case anybody does try and buy a car from MotorPoint...it goes without saying they'll try and flog you everything under the sun (oh your model doesn't have rear parking sensors? Buy ours for £249 fully fitted...have you seen our GardX body protection? £249. GAP insurance? Why not take our outrageously priced plan for £249 for 3 years. Can we convince you not to take a personal loan at a frankly excellent 4.5% APR and take our HP deal? We can do you a cheaper monthly payment! etc.)...but watch out for the £89 "pre-delivery" fee they try to charge you.

It says on the website it's optional, and the guy did the whole "I'll have to ask my manager if I can remove it", but they basically try to charge you for an inspection before you take the car (they thoroughly inspect all their cars anyway), the HPI certificate (even though have already done the HPI and have a legal obligation to do so) and valeting. Cheeky bastards!

TheCyclingProgrammer
6th March 2014, 16:00

My rate is good, but it's not that good!

When I start earning those rates, I'll come back here in 3 years time with my massive oversized war chest and you can all tell me what car I should buy then, OK? ;)

TheCyclingProgrammer
6th March 2014, 16:02
TBH I don't understand people talking about handling at this level of cars, that is the vast majority. Super cars (of which I've driven zero) I could understand. What does "the steering seemed dead in the corners" actually mean to me? Nothing, I want something that gets me to work, doesn't break down, and is blue or at a push silver.

I don't know...I'm currently using my Mum's Citroen C3 and it's horrible to drive...the steering snaps back and causes the car to veer off if you give it even a hint of gas out of a corner.

sasguru
6th March 2014, 16:10
We put down the £300 deposit and we should pick it up next Tuesday (it has to be brought down from the Birmingham showroom).

Phew that's a relief!:tongue I thought you'd be banging on about Focuses forever.
It's a good car and the great thing is no bills, apart from servicing, for 4 years.
Pater has a Hyundai ix35 4x4 which is based on i30 parts and its been solid as a rock for the year he's had it - good service from the Hyundai dealers.

Platypus
6th March 2014, 16:14
Audi A1? Great little cars, and good resale etc.
We bought one on PCP, weighing up the options at the time, and still stand by the maths from our point of view.

Mrs Kevpuk has a shiny new one - well, a year old now

Yeah, I looked at those for TCP but too expensive at £15k for a 1 year old from Mororpoint

TheCyclingProgrammer
6th March 2014, 16:14
Phew that's a relief!:tongue I thought you'd be banging on about Focuses forever.
It's a good car and the great thing is no bills, apart from servicing, for 4 years.
Pater has a Hyundai ix35 4x4 which is based on i30 parts and its been solid as a rock for the year he's had it - good service from the Hyundai dealers.

I promise never to mention the Focus ever again.

I popped into the Hyundai dealership on the way home and they offered to do a basic inspection on the car when I get it for free, or a more detailed one for half hour labour (£47) which seems reasonable.

I'm no longer eligible for the Hyundai 3 year £349 service plan as the first one has to be done at 10k miles/1 year but he reckons they will be doing their own 3 year minor/major/minor service plan for a similar price later this month. Seems like a good deal? He also quoted about £150 for interim service and £240 for major service. No idea if that's good or bad.

AtW
6th March 2014, 16:25
Cash and make sure you have a £50 note to smoke a cigar before driving off.

HTH

DimPrawn

sasguru
6th March 2014, 16:40
I promise never to mention the Focus ever again.

I popped into the Hyundai dealership on the way home and they offered to do a basic inspection on the car when I get it for free, or a more detailed one for half hour labour (£47) which seems reasonable.

I'm no longer eligible for the Hyundai 3 year £349 service plan as the first one has to be done at 10k miles/1 year but he reckons they will be doing their own 3 year minor/major/minor service plan for a similar price later this month. Seems like a good deal? He also quoted about £150 for interim service and £240 for major service. No idea if that's good or bad.

3 years servicing for £350 sounds good to me.
The missus BMW's first service was £550. :mad
These Germans see us coming

NorthWestPerm2Contr
6th March 2014, 16:56
3 years servicing for £350 sounds good to me.
The missus BMW's first service was £550. :mad
These Germans see us coming

I'd always go to a German specialist to service a BMW. I found a good one in Bolton (NW BMW) and one here in Skipton (Aire Valley Workshop). They know what they are doing and charge half the price if that.

eek
6th March 2014, 16:59
I'd always go to a German specialist to service a BMW. I found a good one in Bolton (NW BMW) and one here in Skipton (Aire Valley Workshop). They know what they are doing and charge half the price if that.

My mini went in for the 50,000 service last year as part of the extended TLC pack. without that the service would have been northwards of £1000....