• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flights more expensive during the week?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flights more expensive during the week?

This seems unintuitive to me, looking to book a week in Finland and it consistently seems to be cheaper to travel on the weekend.

Is that normal? Or does it depend if the route is predominantly used for business flights (UK <--> Helsinki)?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    This seems unintuitive to me, looking to book a week in Finland and it consistently seems to be cheaper to travel on the weekend.

Is that normal? Or does it depend if the route is predominantly used for business flights (UK <--> Helsinki)?
    Business travelers during the week. Price on weekend shoots up during school holidays only
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Business travelers during the week. Price on weekend shoots up during school holidays.
      That's the thing, this is during the holidays. Maybe nobody goes to Helsinki for Easter.

Comment

That's the thing, this is during the holidays. Maybe nobody goes to Helsinki for Easter.
        Not a tourist destination. That's why I flew the wife and kids to Phoenix as opposed to San Fran or San Diego. It was wayyyyyyyy cheaper plus loads of reward flights
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

London airports

Rather than start a new thread, does anyone know how easy/long it is to get from Kings Cross to Heathrow Vs Gatwick? Flights from up north are useless so train down to London either super-early or the night before might be better, but we'd be arriving into KGX. It seems Paddington and Victoria are the places to get to for the Express trains, but I don't want to fall into the trap of thinking they must be close by, especially with suitcases

Comment

Rather than start a new thread, does anyone know how easy/long it is to get from Kings Cross to Heathrow Vs Gatwick? Flights from up north are useless so train down to London either super-early or the night before might be better, but we'd be arriving into KGX. It seems Paddington and Victoria are the places to get to for the Express trains, but I don't want to fall into the trap of thinking they must be close by, especially with suitcases
            You should be able to cab from Kings X to either of those (stations, not airports) fairly cheaply, not much more than £10. For gatwick there is also the thameslink which isn't much slower than the express but I can't remember if that stops at Kings X or not.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Kings Cross to Heathrow Vs Gatwick? Flights from up north are useless so train down to London either super-early or the night before might be better, but we'd be arriving into KGX. It seems Paddington and Victoria are the places to get to for the Express trains, but I don't want to fall into the trap of thinking they must be close by, especially with suitcases
              Cross the road from Kings Cross to St Pancras and find your way downstairs to "Platform A" where there are 3 or 4 trains per hour direct to LGW timetabled at 46 minutes. Costs about £10 one way or splash out on 1st class for £16.

Alternatively, you can get the tube to Paddington (a 10 minute ride which will cost you about £5 if you don't have an oyster card) and then buy a ticket for the Heathrow Express (a 15 minute ride which costs about £25). Will probably takes about 40 minutes if you time it right.
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Actually people travel both ways for family. There are a lot of Nordic people in the UK and British people/residents in Nordic countries.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                  Cross the road from Kings Cross to St Pancras and find your way downstairs to "Platform A" where there are 3 or 4 trains per hour direct to LGW timetabled at 46 minutes. Costs about £10 one way or splash out on 1st class for £16.

Alternatively, you can get the tube to Paddington (a 10 minute ride which will cost you about £5 if you don't have an oyster card) and then buy a ticket for the Heathrow Express (a 15 minute ride which costs about £25). Will probably takes about 40 minutes if you time it right.
                  Great tip for Gatwick. I can get a ticket from Durham -> LHR including Express ticket for about £60 each but an equivalent to Gatwick, including Express, is nearly double (both go DHM->KGX then Express)

Comment

Working...
                  X