• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Things I've learnt today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things I've learnt today

I'd always assumed San Miguel beer was Spanish. Or perhaps Latin American. It is, in fact, from the Philippines.

And even more inneresting, the longest eruption in the history of vulcanology lasted for 6 years and happened right here in Lanzarote. It is the reason, basically, that the whole south of the island looks like a lava field. Incredibly there is still residual heat from that eruption and earlier today we enjoyed chicken barbecued over volcanic rocks in Timanfaya National Park.

The entire place is like the surface of Mars and, indeed, has featured in several films including 2001 a Space Odyssey. The soon to be released Spielberg sequel to Moby Dick was also filmed here.

Quite breathtaking really.

I have learnt how right I am all the time
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Put another way "It's just a load of old rocks isn't it?" (Heard on the coach back to the airport - peasant). I love Lanzarote.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
        I'd always assumed San Miguel beer was Spanish. Or perhaps Latin American. It is, in fact, from the Philippines.

And even more inneresting, the longest eruption in the history of vulcanology lasted for 6 years and happened right here in Lanzarote. It is the reason, basically, that the whole south of the island looks like a lava field. Incredibly there is still residual heat from that eruption and earlier today we enjoyed chicken barbecued over volcanic rocks in Timanfaya National Park.

The entire place is like the surface of Mars and, indeed, has featured in several films including 2001 a Space Odyssey. The soon to be released Spielberg sequel to Moby Dick was also filmed here.

Quite breathtaking really.
        Breathtaking?

"Mirador del Rio" - 'nuff said.

Comment

San Miguel Lager is brewed in Northamption

The Great Foreign Beer Myth | The Beer Tutor

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            Breathtaking?

"Mirador del Rio" - 'nuff said.
            Ooh - may have to see if I can squeeze that in...

Meant to be getting sunny again tomorrow so hoping to get some beach time in

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              San Miguel Lager is brewed in Northamption

The Great Foreign Beer Myth | The Beer Tutor
              It was in a Guardian quiz.

You saying the Grauniad is wrong?

Comment

Years since I went, but had a good couple of weeks

Amazing Artists House - Fundacion Cesar Manrique, Costa Teguise Traveller Reviews - TripAdvisor

Jameos del Agua Reviews - Lanzarote, Canary Islands Attractions - TripAdvisor

Cueva de los Verdes Reviews - Lanzarote, Canary Islands Attractions - TripAdvisor

Comment

The Canarians don't do the Castilian lisp (at least not in Lanzarote).

Why? Well apparently most of the population left for Venezuela when Franco came to power and returned with the non lisping Venezuelan dialect after the restoration.

Don't think the Catalans do it either - whether or not that is just an affectation to distance themselves from the Francoistas I don't know.

I do the lisp when speaking Spanish. In Spain. But I do find it phenomenally pretentious when I hear these yummy mummies asking for "chor-ee-thoh" at the deli counter in Waitrose.

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
                    But I do find it phenomenally pretentious when I hear these yummy mummies asking for "chor-ee-thoh" at the deli counter in Waitrose.
                    Out of interest how the hell should one pronounce it in English?

I'd tend to go for koh-ree-zo or "some of that sliced donkey please".

Comment

Working...
                    X