• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who benefits from migrants?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who benefits from migrants?

Immigration minister blames middle class for influx of foreign workers - Telegraph

A “wealthy metropolitan elite” of middle-class households has helped to support mass immigration to Britain by demanding cheap labour and services, a minister will say on Thursday.

IMO +100. Britain is becoming divided between the haves and the have-nots. Societies where there is equality of wealth, whether rich or poor, tend to be happiest.

In much the same way as everyone bemoans the death of British manufacturing while sat in front of their Chinese made TVs. We are a nation of cheapskates and we get the low wage low skill economy we deserve. We need more companies like Mclaren, Rolls Royce and dare I say it, Doodab Technologies Ltd.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      In much the same way as everyone bemoans the death of British manufacturing while sat in front of their Chinese made TVs. We are a nation of cheapskates and we get the low wage low skill economy we deserve. We need more companies like Mclaren, Rolls Royce and dare I say it, Doodab Technologies Ltd.
      British manufacturing isn't dead. More cars are being produced in Britain than any time since the 60s, more vehicle engines than ever before, plus there are huge success stories like Rolls Royce aero engines, JC Bamford, the whole motorsport industry, components for satellites, software for vehicle engines and so on and so forth. British manufacturing doesn't employ as many people as in the past because it doesn't need as many people to produce top quality high price output and big profits.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I'd happily pay a local to do the cleaning (£9 per hour), building and decorating (£20 per hour), gardening (£9 per hour), child-minding (£11 per hour). At the moment these things are done for me by a Romanian, a Pole, an Indian and a South African respectively, at the rates specified.
        Given that all these rates are well above the minimum wage, why are there no locals applying for these jobs? We have bred a sense of entitlement among the British young (of all colours) so that they wouldn't be seen dead doing this sort of work.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          I'd happily pay a local to do the cleaning (£9 per hour), building and decorating (£20 per hour), gardening (£9 per hour), child-minding (£11 per hour). At the moment these things are done for me by a Romanian, a Pole, an Indian and a South African respectively, at the rates specified.
          Given that all these rates are well above the minimum wage, why are there no locals applying for these jobs? We have bred a sense of entitlement among the British young (of all colours) so that they wouldn't be seen dead doing this sort of work.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Perhaps the native workers don't enjoy your condescending attitude whereas foreigners see it as an example of English eccentricities?
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

My point being that in the South East, immigrant labour is not cheap anymore - not if you do it legally - yet there no Brits whatsoever willing to work at those rates. And I mean none, not a single fooking one.
              For the gardener, we advertised in the local press/supermarket - got a string of foreigners applying.
              For the child minder we specified English as a first language for obvious reasons, the agency said no English people applied for their roles.
              Last edited by sasguru; 6 March 2014, 08:40.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                Perhaps the native workers don't enjoy your condescending attitude whereas foreigners see it as an example of English eccentricities?
                I'm only condescending to ignorant twats like you, not to my staff.
                HTH
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

I like the way they blame the public, I suppose its our fault that MP's fiddled their expenses? Or that the Police are racist?

The only people to blame are the Government and the businesses that failed to adapt.

People buy what is available, price will be a major factor. I went out yesterday and bought some items from 'Poundshops' 5 packs of orbit gum were 99p they are £2.14 in Tesco etc. So excessive profiteering is one part of the price.

Cars are a classic example we used to make cars in the UK under British management, they were rubbish poorly designed, built and sold (BL Mini & Jag were both under priced, Rover were over priced compared to the competition), we now make cars under foreign management and they are high quality and sold at the right price. The workers are mainly the same just the management that has changed.

In the 80s I used to fix TVs at first the reliable ones were British e.g. Thorn etc. But it slowly changed and the imports competed on price & quality. Why buy a £1000 British tv when you can get a better one for £500?

Employers are the same if you offer well trained and qualified people for minimum wage then they will employ those rather than less attractive locals.

The Government controls the immigration tap so they are totally to blame, yes some richer people may have enjoyed cheaper tradesmen but I don't recall them marching on Parliament to demand cheap Eastern European builders.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

My point being that in the South East, immigrant labour is not cheap anymore - not if you do it legally.
                    I live in the South East
                    I pay my UK born & bred Gardener £10 an hour
                    On those occasions when I hire in labour rather than DIY - they are all UK born & bred - not by any selection or preference just the way it is & work out at £10-15 @ hour for decorating and £20-25 @ hour for semi /skilled workers - more if heavy plant is involved
                    I wouldn't trust anyone to look after my kids except immediate family so no reference point to quote
                    All are receipted upon payment so presumably going through the books
                    However, the local hand car washes are without exception staffed by immigrants,and involve cash payments so cannot say if tax & NI being paid
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X