• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hmm: Can't decide if this is an achievement or not

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm: Can't decide if this is an achievement or not

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5275718.stm

"UK 'will lead digital TV uptake'

Digital TV will be watched in a greater percentage of homes in the UK than any other country by 2010, a report says.
    Around 95% of UK households will have digital TV, compared to 66% in the US and 50% in Germany, according to market analyst Datamonitor. "

What does the panel think ?

Milan.

Digital TV is great - you buy a freeview USB stick for about £25, a wacking great widescreeen monitor (like wot I have), set it up as your PVR, and when the TV licencing people knock on your door you just put the dongle in yer pocket (no sniggering Milan), and let them hunt around the place for some TV that does not exist.

A lot of the freeview devices have time shifting, EPG, and even twin tuners.

Much cheaper than a TV and its associated BBC tax.

Heres a thought - do you need to pay the BBC tax for a data projector...?
    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Of course the UK will lead uptake. By then there will be no other form of TV (NOTE used "other" as I cant spell terrestrial and I don't want to upset fleety).Other countries are not going fully digital yet.
      Govt. does this kind of spin all the time.
      e.g. We have the highest uptake of broadband this year. Because every other country has already reached saturation.

Having the highest digital use is a good thing (IMO) but it is not an achievement.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Apparently there will also be a 'Test Please Delete' channel.
        Vieze Oude Man

Comment

FreeView has got no bandwidth for high def transmissions - and once you see high def you would not want to go back.

Comment

Switching off the analogue frequencies in order that they can sell more bandwidth to the Mobile Phone companies for a vast profit I wonder?
            How very "New Labour"!
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
              Digital TV will be watched in a greater percentage of homes in the UK than any other country by 2010, a report says.
              Around 95% of UK households will have digital TV, compared to 66% in the US and 50% in Germany, according to market analyst Datamonitor. "
              It helps that they are going to switch off analogue by 2013 so they can sell the bandwidth for squillions. NewLie is encouraging digital take-up so there's a better chance they get to waste it all.

Edit - Just beat me to it Shaun.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Thank Goodness I dont have a television !

Comment

I bought one of those freeview boxes off a bloke in the pub for a fiver and a pint since he threw in a scart cable. Well worth it for the picture quality. However, for the content, I think I was overcharged. Once I had set the favourites to skip the shopping, gambling, kids and crap music channels all I was left with were loads of channels showing repeats. New content must be < 3% of that broadcast.

However, since I have ‘been away for a while’, it’s good to catch up on a few things. Also, repeats or not, all of the British stuff is miles ahead of all the US rubbish I get on my Dish Network Sat TV back home (my viewing card for that is, of course, a pirate!).
                  Blair, you cannot reach me now,
                  No matter how you try,
                  Goodbye cruel Labour,
                  Your end is nigh.

International Talk Like a Pirate Day

Comment

Working...
                  X