• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What People Say At Work Vs. What They Mean : 99 office cliches, translated.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What People Say At Work Vs. What They Mean : 99 office cliches, translated.

1. “Breakout session” - We will sit in a room and repeat very dull ideas.
    2. “As a team we need to break out of our individual siloes” - We all hate each other.
    3. “Let’s action this” - I don’t understand the difference between nouns and verbs.
    4.“I’ll inbox you” - I’m a bit of a twat.
    5. “Let’s take this offline” - I’m a massive twat.
    6. “We wish x the best of luck in her new job” - Burn in hell, traitor.
    7. “It’s been great working with you guys, and I’ll really miss this team” - So long, suckers.
    8. “Our model is scalable” - The company will either grow, or it’ll shrink. One of the two.
    9. “Skyrocketing revenues” - Negligible profits.
    10. “Sharp uptick” - Tiny, almost imperceptible increase.
    11. CC - I am passive aggressively alerting as many senior people as possible to your ****-up.
    12. [On the phone] “Could you put this in an email?” - Which I will ignore.
    13. “I’m going freelance” - I miss daytime TV.
    14. “We are tax efficient” - We avoid paying tax.
    15. “I’m an SEO expert” - I know how to put keywords in a headline.
    16. “I’m an analytics expert” - I’ve got a Google Analytics log-in.
    17. “I’m a social media expert” - I’m a bulltulipter.
    18. “Ninja” - Douchebag.
    19. “Community manager” - Person who writes the tweets.
    20. “I’ve decided to step down” - I’ve been given a massive payoff.
    21. “We just had different visions for where the company was going” - They found out I’d been embezzling funds.
    22. “In this brainstorm, there are no bad ideas” - This brainstorm will be nothing but bad ideas.
    23. “Moving on to pastures new” - Fired.
    24. “We’re restructuring the company” - Everyone is fired.
    25. “We’ve brought in a team of consultants” - Everyone is about to be fired.
    26. “You’re fired” - I think I’m Alan Sugar.
    27. “By mutual agreement…” - The boss thinks…
    28. “It’s time for a fresh challenge” - I literally couldn’t stand being in the same room as you a day longer.
    29. “I can’t wait to get started!” - I actually can, but everyone has to say this, right?
    30. “I’m taking a career break” - I will be sitting in my pants watching Jeremy Kyle and crying for the next three months.
    31. “I’ve been offered a fantastic opportunity elsewhere” - I’ve been offered more money.
    32. “Got time for a chat?” - Prepare for the worst.
    33. “Can I have a word?” - We will have many, many, many, many, many words.
    34. “Can I have a quick word?” - I don’t have anything to discuss, I just like putting the fear of God into you.
    35. “Have you got a minute?” - You’ve got a minute.
    36. “We need to develop a more agile workflow” - We should probably stop titting about on Facebook all day.
    37. “Quick pint after work” - Several pints after work, and quite possibly some shots too.
    38. “Merger” - Excuse to fire everybody.
    39. “Following the restructuring, X will be taking on some additional responsibilities” - We have chosen our fall guy and have set them up to take all the blame for our ****ups.
    40. “MORNING TEAM!” - Everyone hates me.
    41. “Exciting new position” - It isn’t an exciting position.
    42. “I’ve been recently reading the biography of Steve Jobs” - I am not Steve Jobs and never will be.
    43. “Core values” - Making money.
    44. “This is a really great opportunity for our business” - We’re sooooooooo screwed.
    45. “I don’t think there’s ever been a more exciting time to be working in this field” - We’re soooooooooo sooooooooooooooo screwed.
    46. “The Chinese symbol for ‘crisis’ is a combination of the symbols for ‘danger’ and ‘opportunity’” - We are so profoundly screwed you wouldn’t believe.
    47. “Company away day” - Must we?
    48. “I know how to code” - I know how to italicise things in HTML.
    49. “Let’s park this for now” - Let’s never mention this ever again.
    50. “Welcome to the company, lovely to meet you!” - Get promoted above me and I will cut you.
    51. “I’m an experienced manager” - I bought a book from WH Smith on being a manager.
    52. “I’m working from home today” - I’m not doing any work today.
    53. “I’ve got the lurgy” - I’m hungover.
    54. “I’ve got man flu” - I’m hungover.
    55. “I’ve got a doctor’s appointment” - I’m hungover.
    56. “We should run this past legal” - We should have someone else to blame in case this goes tits up.
    57. “It’s been a challenging year” - We’re totally ****ed.
    58. “We’re seeking new revenue streams” - We’re broke.
    59. “We’re restructuring our financing” - We’re broke but not ready to admit it.
    60. “The economic outlook is uncertain” - The economic outlook is apocalyptic.
    61. “The company is perfectly positioned to meet the tough economic challenges ahead” - The end is nigh.
    62. “It’s been a great year” - For our shareholders.
    63. “The success we’ve had is down to every single one of you” - We’re all getting bonuses. You’re not.
    64. “The door to my office is always open” - I wish facilities would bloody fix it.
    65. “Happy Birthday!” - We’ve never spoken. Why am I signing this?
    66. “Pub after work? Can’t, I’ve got plans I’m afraid” - I’ve spent quite enough time with you people for one day.
    67. “Anyone fancy a cup of tea?” - Offer strictly limited to the three people in my immediate vicinity.
    68. “Nipping to the shops, anyone want anything?” - Within reason. I’m not your ******* dogsbody.
    69. “What are you eating there? Looks nice” - I’m on the 5:2 diet and I’m so hungry and miserable I could scream.
    70. “Cycled to work, eh? Good for you” - You smug bastard.
    71. “I want more responsibility” - I want a pay rise.
    72. “I’m giving a presentation” - I’ve put some boring graphs together in Powerpoint.
    73. “In my last company…” - What I’m about to say is totally irrelevant.
    74. “Team player” - Has basic social skills, is not an outright sociopath.
    75. “This is beyond my remit” - I can’t be arsed to deal with this.
    76. “I’ll take your ideas on board” - I’ll steal your ideas and take credit for them.
    77. “He’s certainly ambitious” - He’s appalling.
    78. “It’s been a pleasure working with you” - I’ve forgotten you already.
    79. “How’s the wife?” - I’ve forgotten your wife’s name.
    80. “How are the kids?” - I’ve forgotten your kids’ names.
    81. “How are things at home?” - I’ve forgotten everything about you.
    82. “How was your weekend?” - It’s Monday or Tuesday.
    83. “What are you up to this weekend?” - It’s Thursday or Friday.
    84. “….” - It’s Wednesday.
    85. “Come intern for us” - Come work for us for no money indefinitely. It’s illegal but hey.
    86. “He’s intensely results-driven” - He’s a psycho.
    87. “Doesn’t suffer fools gladly” - Merciless bastard.
    88. “He’s the office entertainer” - Total ******.
    89. “She’ll go far” - She’s terrifying.
    90. “He’s straight-talking” - Every other word is ****.
    91. “Best wishes” - I’m dying inside.
    92. “Regards” - This job is slowly killing me.
    93. “Xxxxxx” - I’m overly affectionate.
    94. “XOX” - I’m zany.
    95. :-) - I’m childish.
    96. x - I typed this by mistake. Awkward.
    97. “Cheers!” - I hate you!
    98. “Yours” - Up yours.
    99. “Kind regards” - Go **** yourself.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

TL;DR

Comment

100. "Heres a list of pointless stuff I found on the internet, it's so funny." - Look at me! Look at Me!
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Anyone got any good reasons why Captain Kirk was better than Captain Picard?
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Anyone got any good reasons why Captain Kirk was better than Captain Picard?
          Startrekking Across the Universe?
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Well I appreciated the thread Si. I live by #37
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
            X