• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Parasite' banks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Parasite' banks

That's the opinion of the George Soros and AtW.

"George Soros, the billionaire investor, believes the banking sector is a “parasite” holding back the economic recovery and an “incestuous” relationship with regulators means little has been done to resolve the issues behind the 2008 crisis.

The banking sector is acting as a parasite on the real economy,” Mr Soros said in his new book “The Tragedy of the European Union”.

“The profitability of the finance industry has been excessive. For a while 35pc of all corporate profits in the United Kingdom and the United States came from the financial sector. That’s absurd.”

Mr Soros outlined how the problems that caused the Eurozone economic crisis remain largely unresolved.

“Very little has been done to correct the excess leverage in the European banking system. The equity in the banks relative to their balance sheets is wafer thin, and that makes them very vulnerable. "

Source: George Soros blasts 'parasite' banks - Telegraph

For once he has got a point, but I hope he includes central banks and similar facilities in this description. The banks didn't magically become TBTF out of nowhere.
    Last edited by Zero Liability; 8 March 2014, 16:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
      I hope he includes central banks
      For sure he does - parasite Central Banks stand in the way of parasite hedge fund owners like Soros who want to make a quick buck or two.

Comment

The whole thing can be translated as "hate the game not the player". I wonder if Bernanke is going to go with that motto, too. Still, I do agree with him, he is just exploiting the circumstances as they are, as loathsome a person as he may be. Central banks and governments give away tons of cash to willing recipients, which may result in speculative flows to asset/commodity markets. The reason so few politicians are willing to take on the banks is because if the banks did not participate in the fractional reserve system, any money printing the political class indulged in would be direct and visible. Whereas if the banks do it, it's much harder to discern the trajectory of the credit through the system, and you can just blame its effects (rising prices if not counteracted with productivity increases) on the greed of shopkeepers.

As it currently works, it's borrowing against future tax receipts, made artificially cheap through credit expansion and regulations that favour holding government debt, as well as banks like the Fed exercising demand for 'assets' that would be otherwise valued at figures very close to zero. So the banks are only part of the picture.
        Last edited by Zero Liability; 8 March 2014, 17:26.

Comment

I work in a bank and I love it. Soon as I get sacked it will be different.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            This time it will be different...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

HTH
              They do pay well.

Comment

They do pay well.
                Selling ones soul was never a cheap thing ...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Selling ones soul was never a cheap thing ...
                  Or renting it out, in this case.

Comment

They do pay well.
                    They print the money - lovely jubbly.

Comment

Working...
                    X