• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security Clearance

Hi all. I've scanned the forums now for about 15 minutes and I can't find anythign related to what I'm asking, I've read the SC Sticky thread aswell just incase I look like I'm being lazy!

So here's my situation.

I'm in the process of applying for the Royal Marines and as a part of the Royal Navy's recruitment process you require a SC clearance. I'm not going to have a problem with the CRB check, it's just my criminal history is quite.. dispicable.

In cronoligical order-

When I was 11- posession of an offensive weapon in a public place (it was a BB gun and a metal police cosh) I recoeved a warning for this
    17- criminal damage (argument at home, I threw a brush into the staircase and the brush snapped :L ) I was reffered to a youth offending team, who after speaking to me said I don't need to contact them again as they understood the reasons behind the situation.
    18- conviction for battery (and breach of bail condtions for harrasment twice)
    20- PND (penalty notice for disorder) (theft act 1968)
    and inbetween there the police have been phoned a few times to come to the house due to arguments my family have had... and I was obviously apart of them and thus questioned. Can't wait to leave here!

I'd say that was it, but it's not really is it. I'm finacially alright, medically, and pretty normal in most other aspects... And I'd never attempt a cough against the Government! I've also been in the Army altogether for about 18 months Regular/Reserve and signed official secrets acts etc and no dramas there!

This is my full criminal history, I'm almost 22 now so is it all time dependent or based on honesty? I'm pretty worried about this but time will only tell!

Thanks all!

Sockie Alert

Try another career?
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

First rule of security clearance, if you don't talk about security clearance.

As such I am sorry I can't help you.
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

What did your accountant advise?

Comment

Originally posted by PERSEC View Post
          Hi all. I've scanned the forums now for about 15 minutes and I can't find anythign related to what I'm asking, I've read the SC Sticky thread aswell just incase I look like I'm being lazy!

So here's my situation.

I'm in the process of applying for the Royal Marines and as a part of the Royal Navy's recruitment process you require a SC clearance. I'm not going to have a problem with the CRB check, it's just my criminal history is quite.. dispicable.

In cronoligical order-

When I was 11- posession of an offensive weapon in a public place (it was a BB gun and a metal police cosh) I recoeved a warning for this
          17- criminal damage (argument at home, I threw a brush into the staircase and the brush snapped :L ) I was reffered to a youth offending team, who after speaking to me said I don't need to contact them again as they understood the reasons behind the situation.
          18- conviction for battery (and breach of bail condtions for harrasment twice)
          20- PND (penalty notice for disorder) (theft act 1968)
          and inbetween there the police have been phoned a few times to come to the house due to arguments my family have had... and I was obviously apart of them and thus questioned. Can't wait to leave here!

I'd say that was it, but it's not really is it. I'm finacially alright, medically, and pretty normal in most other aspects... And I'd never attempt a cough against the Government! I've also been in the Army altogether for about 18 months Regular/Reserve and signed official secrets acts etc and no dramas there!

This is my full criminal history, I'm almost 22 now so is it all time dependent or based on honesty? I'm pretty worried about this but time will only tell!

Thanks all!
          On the assumption that you are not a sockie or other form of troll and you ended up on an IT contractors forum on a Sunday afternoon through some strange perversion of Google searches...

Tell the truth. The point of the clearance process is to make sure you can't the blackmailed or otherwise exploited. They already know all the answers as your past is a matter of record on the police files and they will check. If you lie, you will get found out and that will be it it. No second chances. There are some cases where a criminal record may be a bar to clearance if the offences are specific to the reason you need clearance but these are very specific and from what your said shouldn't be an issue.

If you really are already in the Army then presumably they let you run around with guns and live ammo and you are expected to shoot people at some point, so being done for possession is hardly a stain on your character under the circumstances. You may need to convince the Marines that you are a fit and suitable person to join them and that the past is the past and there will be no repeats, but otherwise clearance shouldn't be an issue. They are more likely to reject you for being a twat who can't control his temper.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

So why didn't you post this in the sticky?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi all. No it's not a troll or fake post, I've been searching high and low for an answer, and good point to the man who said to post it in the SC sticky! Didn't think of that! Thanks to the fella who gave it a good answer and when you say more likely to be refused for assault is that a possiblity og actually being refused? Or just a comparision of how unlikely it would be that I'd be refused?

Thanks all!

Comment

Originally posted by PERSEC View Post
                Hi all. No it's not a troll or fake post, I've been searching high and low for an answer, and good point to the man who said to post it in the SC sticky! Didn't think of that! Thanks to the fella who gave it a good answer and when you say more likely to be refused for assault is that a possiblity og actually being refused? Or just a comparision of how unlikely it would be that I'd be refused?

Thanks all!
                I meant the Marines may reject you because of your record if they feel you have an issue that you haven't addressed or can't convince them it's in the past. Regardless of your clearance status, if they decide that you are lacking maturity or don't have the right temperament then they won't accept you.

Tell the truth on your SC application, if you do that there should be no reason you would be rejected for clearance. I know people who've done a lot worse and still been cleared.

Focus on presenting yourself to the selection interviewer as someone who has put his past behind him and has moved on from there.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Ah thankyou! Yeah I did just that the other week. I went in, polite and smartly dressed and with all my conviction paper work etc and usually it's very rare according to what I've read on the internet to be accepted for a waiver, but I got one, now they're going to ask for a waiver (second stage both hard to get) but thanks for the all the information everyone! Takes a little bit of worry away now!

Comment

I don't remember needing SC clearance, but I googled it and it sounds like you do these days. Seems odd.

Comment

Working...
                    X