• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I don't often agree with Cristina Odone, but...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't often agree with Cristina Odone, but...

Britain is not getting the immigrants it deserves: they are far too good for this country – Telegraph Blogs

Flame away!
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Flame away I most certainly will because that piece surpasses her normal guff by an order of magnitude.

To paraphrase, immigrants are "here to steal our jobs and milk our social services.

They keep our children from learning because their children can't speak English and keep interrupting Teacher.

They are grabbing the best council homes (10,000
    of them according to the tabloids) because they know how to scam the local council."

According to Christina, these are the myths being perpetrated by Ukip,

Of course, up in the leafy suburb that Christina calls home, impervious to the challenges posed by mass immigration that the rest of us proles have to face on a daily basis the truth is very different;

"...more than a third of people born outside the UK but living here have a degree — compared with just one in four born-and-bred Britons. Britain's immigrants are top drawer."

Yes, there are a lot of highly qualified young people from Southern Europe who can't find work at home and I feel sorry for them. They will come here, work hard and make a contribution and most will return if and when when the economies of that region recover sufficiently.

But you are ignoring the legions of folks who come here equipped with degrees from the University of Chittagong, or some such august institution and are flooding in by any nefarious means with the result that the industry in which we work will be a closed shop within a few years from now - pretty much like tech careers in the Middle East these days.

Take a look at Immigrationboards.com • Immigrationboards.com. It should make your blood boil.

These prospective immigrants don't know how to scam eh Christina?

Well, how about that very popular scam among Indian IT workers in which they are purported to possess the £50k required to be granted an entrepreneurial visa and then come to the UK and work through their own limited companies?

Oh, of course. It's all made up by the Daily Mail or UKIP.....

Comment

In fact, they have brought an "astonishingly strong contribution to the UK's fiscal health" — about £22 billion in fact.
      Why are people so ignorant? Even if that figure is accurate, and these studies rarely take all factors into account, £22bn is just 3% of government expenditure, 1.4% of GDP. In return for a 13% increase in population. Does that really make any sense?

It is not GDP that matters. Luxemburg has a tiny GDP but has the world's richest people. It is GDP per capita and quality of life for the existing population that matter. Immigration has brought no measurable improvement in the first (according to a House of Lord committee) and is having a diabolical impact on the second. Every little village round here is being ruined with housing developments and that is only one of many downsides.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

All these immigration discussions are missing one key point... Where are we going to be in 10 - 15 years time if tough action (either way) is taken now. A small city of people comes to the UK every year and what is going to happen when they start having families and their families start etc etc...

IMO we need a tough stance now to avoid a problem in the decades to come, not particularly because there is a problem right here and now.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post

Take a look at Immigrationboards.com • Immigrationboards.com. It should make your blood boil.

These prospective immigrants don't know how to scam eh Christina?

Well, how about that very popular scam among Indian IT workers in which they are purported to possess the £50k required to be granted an entrepreneurial visa and then come to the UK and work through their own limited companies?

Oh, of course. It's all made up by the Daily Mail or UKIP.....
          UKiP is only hates Eastern Block, they are pro Common Wealth "best and brightest".

People are not allowed to say anything bad about Indians on this board these days.
          Last edited by mos; 11 March 2014, 13:43.
          If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Originally posted by mos View Post
            UKiP is only hates Eastern Block, they are pro Common Wealth "best and brightest".

People are not allowed to say anything bad about Indians on this board these days, I believe it may have something to do with the new ownership.
            Personally I think that in general the Indians we get are third rate, compared with the ones the US creams off.
            But each and every one of them is far better than you.
            I mean who needs a whining, paranoid immigrant like you?
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Comment already posted on the website!

Pure clickbait but I fall for it every time!

Dan Hodges, Christine Odone, Benedict Brogan, Matthew D'Ancona etc etc. You don't have to be a rich, well connected Londoner to be a writer for the Daily Telegraph but it certainly helps.

Where can you find a decent, middling intellectual, right of centre newspaper now?

Don't say the Times. That went downmarket years ago and it's just as grovelling to Camerons Conservatives.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
                Where can you find a decent, middling intellectual, right of centre newspaper now?
                nrc.nl - Snelle duiding bij het belangrijkste nieuws

Oh sorry, you probably want it in English! It's only slightly right of centre, but it does generally leave the thinking to the reader.

But yes, you're right that there's a big gap in the meejah around the moderately right winged audience with brains.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  nrc.nl - Snelle duiding bij het belangrijkste nieuws

Oh sorry, you probably want it in English! It's only slightly right of centre, but it does generally leave the thinking to the reader.

But yes, you're right that there's a big gap in the meejah around the moderately right winged audience with brains.
                  Goddamit Sir that's some strange foreign lingo!

Occasionally I take a look at Spiegel International - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News. But too pro EU and too German!

Well I suppose the free market will eventually provide an alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
                    Well I suppose the free market will eventually provide an alternative.

Comment

Working...
                    X