• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electoral Fraud - The elephant in t'room

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electoral Fraud - The elephant in t'room

So Lord justice overpaid arse has had a look and decided I should be denied a postal vote just because some people can't be trusted.

BBC News - Scrap 'on demand' postal voting to curb fraud, says judge

Postal voting is open to fraud on an "industrial scale" and is "unviable" in its current form, a top judge has said.

Richard Mawrey QC, who tries cases of electoral fraud, told the BBC that people should not be able to apply for postal votes as a matter of course.

I don't think it's racist or ill-informed alarmist claptrap to see where the majority of this fraud issue arises, but no-one seems to want to be open about it for fear of having the accusation levelled against them -

BBC Radio 4's File on 4 spoke to a man in Derby who said his mother had her postal vote cast for her by activists who turned up at her house and pressurised her into letting them fill in her ballot paper.

He said: "Campaigners came to the house and they asked my mum to vote for them and actually my mum, not being able to read English, she didn't know where to put the cross, so one of the people put the cross in the box for her and said, 'There you go now you can just sign it and we will take it off you.'

"Your votes are supposed to be anonymous but when people come to your house and are literally doing it for you that is not you voting is it? That is them voting for you and voting for themselves."

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    So Lord justice overpaid arse has had a look and decided I should be denied a postal vote just because some people can't be trusted.
    Making sure there is no electrocal fraud is more important than letting you cast a vote for Labour party.

HTH

Comment

Labour activists had 'vote-rigging factory' to hijack postal votes - Telegraph

Conservative member convicted of electoral fraud after councillor father acquitted

Five convicted over Derby local election fraud

BBC News - Five jailed over Bradford postal vote scam

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Making sure there is no electrocal fraud is more important than letting you cast a vote for Labour party.

HTH
        That is odd, because I thought you were always banging on about being free of an anti-democratic one-party state. Or is it Ok if it's a Tory one? With guns.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
          That is odd, because I thought you were always banging on about being free of an anti-democratic one-party state. Or is it Ok if it's a Tory one? With guns.
          I am also against anti-democratic two-party state system...

But I'll vote Labour if they make a manifesto commitment to have US style gun ownership

No actually, no - I won't vote Labour even if they offer that.

Comment

You mean the current councillor of Birmingham?

Councillor Muhammad Afzal - Birmingham City Council
            If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Your momma is the elephant in the room.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The thing about elephants is that they do massive stinky tulips.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  The thing about elephants is that they do massive stinky tulips.
                  Something you have in common then
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Something you have in common then
                    I think I may have the edge on them...
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X