• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why is the DB on this forum so dodgy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is the DB on this forum so dodgy?

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.
    Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

"Free" Open source DB?

Originally posted by DimPrawn
    "Free" Open source DB?
    Don't call MySQL a DB. Those of us who regularly use such beasts know damn well that it isn't.

BTW, there are decent Open Source DBs - PostgreSQL springs immediately to mind.
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Come on then, own up. Which one of you dodgy lot wrote it to begin with?

Comment

Aye, forum fell over again

This has happened a few weeks running when the newsletter is sent out, not so much a problem with the choice of Database engine as the way the server is set up and some of the 'features' of the forum software which are a bit resource hungry.

We have tracked down which queries are causing the strain on the DB and also some tweaks to help the server's overall performance. Will be doing a few updates and changes over the next few days so expect all posts to be lost and the forum to be offline for most of the next week

Apologies if the forum outages caused you to do any work, we know this is inexcusable and we will be working hard to make sure you are not distracted by work again in the future.
        my ferret is your ferret

Comment

Originally posted by ferret
          Apologies if the forum outages caused you to do any work, we know this is inexcusable and we will be working hard to make sure you are not distracted by work again in the future.
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Not being able to post bollox infringes on my human rights you know.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
              Not being able to post bollox infringes on my human rights you know.

Your a prawn, you have no rights. I suggest you go fnid the guy who complained about the dead fish swinging competition and ask him to campaign on your behalf.

Comment

You're

Comment

find
                  We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Nowt wrong with MySQL InnoDB as a storage engine (note lack of the word "database" in that comment). vBulletin has some very suspect code in it generally - not exactly performance oriented.

Having run a VERY large vbulletin forum (a few years ago), it's a complete bastard to keep it going.
                    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Working...
                    X