• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

55 things about America you may not know

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

55 things about America you may not know

Skimming through an article 55 things about America you may not know, the most surprising was that there are more "deaths by reptile" there than anywhere else.

I read somwhere that 10s of thousands of people are killed by snake bites each year in India for example. So how the heck can so many more Americans die? I mean how many Americans are at serious risk of being bitten by venomous snakes, and how slow and dull-witted must you be to be caught and killed by an alligator?

Of course, one possible explanation is that the statistic is bollox!
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Skimming through an article 55 things about America you may not know, the most surprising was that there are more "deaths by reptile" there than anywhere else.

I read somwhere that 10s of thousands of people are killed by snake bites each year in India for example. So how the heck can so many more Americans die? I mean how many Americans are at serious risk of being bitten by venomous snakes, and how slow and dull-witted must you be to be caught and killed by an alligator?

Is it per head of population? India has a lot of people and americans keep a lot of pet snakes, so per head i'd say it was believeable.

Or it may, as you say, be utter bollocks:

http://www.toxinology.org/GSI-epidemiology2.htm

Unless they blame all the shootings on a conspiracy involving giant lizard people
    Last edited by doodab; 12 March 2014, 14:37.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Hmmm... inneresting.

I don't profess to know the reason for this bit let me throw something into the mix.

In the Southern States (and maybe elsewhere too) there is a snake called a water moccassin. It is the worlds only semiaquatic viper and can be found near, around and in water; including the sea.

So the little buggers are everywhere, basically.

Comment

Many people still view Dubya as being a loathsome spotted reptile..........if that helps.....just saying....
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I did a quick Google, and basically the number of snake bite deaths in the US is negligible, just as I thought:

Venomous Snake FAQs

The chances of dying from a venomous snakebite in the United States is nearly zero, because we have available, high-quality medical care in the U.S. Fewer than one in 37,500 people are bitten by venomous snakes in the U.S. each year (7-8,000 bites per year), and only one in 50 million people will die from snakebite (5-6 fatalities per year). ..
          Looks like you're more likely to die there tripping over your shoelaces and banging your head

Meanwhile in India:

Snake bites kill 46,000 people annually ..

Just goes to show, one shouldn't believe everything one reads on Zero Hedge

Comment

I think the US is also pretty much the only country where snake handling is a religion?
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
              I think the US is also pretty much the only country where snake handling is a religion?
              The Vatican has been spreading trouser snake worship worldwide for decades.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                The Vatican has been spreading trouser snake worship worldwide for decades.
                tadpole

Comment

Working...
                X