• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC suddenly decide on immediate payment when previously agreed to collect thru PAYE

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC suddenly decide on immediate payment when previously agreed to collect thru PAYE

A battle begins...

When permie upto last tax year, HMRC quite happily collected tax due thru PAYE. When I was made redundant in May getting a large payment in month 2 with the tax code I was on at the time meant that a lot of tax was deducted at higher rate, easily recovering the full amount of tax due and more.

When benched in June-Aug, I tried to get my tax code changed as the assumption I would earn over £100K was completely wrong, they refused saying they could not change my tax code until I was back on PAYE. I started a contract gig in Aug and my accountant said there was no need to start PAYE as I had paid enough tax through PAYE already in the tax year, so have taken dividends only since and keeping the higher rate liability within the company.

By Sep HMRC decided to send me a tax refund, I was puzzled why, so I called them up and if I recall correctly it was a refund due as they believed they had over calculated the amount due when they set my tax code.

End October I submitted my self assessment which slightly increased the tax amount owing be still easily already collected within the tax paid on redundancy PAYE in May. By this time I was benched again.

By Dec I had a statement from HMRC confirming how much tax I owed and saying it was being collected through PAYE so there was nothing to pay on account.

In Jan I had a very large negative K tax code sent to me - they were still wrongly assuming I would earn more than £100K and had added child benefit reclaim as well - some of which I could dispute due to divorce and moving out of the family home in July.

Clearly by last week Hector must have got severely narked as I was issued with a demand for immediate payment of the full amount due with interest being added daily.

I did a calculation with what I know to be the full year's income including my redundancy pay and salary in permie job April/May - Hector owes me thousand's back though most of this will offset the HRT liability I have built up through dividends taken from Ltd Co (which surely is not payable until I have completed 13-14 Self Assessment).

So I tried to call Hector this morning - PAYE records system is down today they could not help me

I'm really not bothered about having to pay what I owe, what narks me is having told me in a statement in Dec that nothing is due immediately they can change their mind at will and demand immediate payment without taking into account an individual's circumstances - what a way to treat someone who has been benched for 6 months and already overtaxed on PAYE and is suffering cashflow problems having to wait 30 days for payment of first invoice (after being boomed!)
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

The system is only down because you don't owe them so much money.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Once the system is up I'd be highly surprised if they don't agree to payment in instalments.

They might threaten to bankrupt you if you don't pay it all in one go. But ignore that, scary though it sounds, and repeatedly ask for instalments.

Comment

I managed to talk to someone at Hector today.

Apparently I had made a mistake on my Self Assessment and put a wrong figure in a box. They "corrected" this for me on 26 Jan but didn't bother to notify me, well not in a means that I could know about - they said the updates was put on SA online - like I'm supposed to go there every week and check?

So, unknown which box was in error and why that turned into a larger tax bill which needed immediate payment - I was told it would take upto 10 days for that information to reach me in the post, in the meantime the interest is clocking up daily.

I tried logging into SA online tonight but WTF it's down for scheduled maintenance
        This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Working...
        X