• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

World is going mad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World is going mad

Or it could be me.

I bought a computer game for my son on DVD. It uses this new fangled "steam" thing. They left off the bit about "ing pile of turd". After faffing about on their "support forums" i.e. reading 100s of posts saying "I have the same problem help me" I decided to do my own thing and install it under a different (local user) account. It appears that games for 7 year olds aren't made with windows family safety users in mind, which some might call an oversight.

It now wants to spend 2 hours downloading the game.

What was the ******* point of driving to the ******* shop then? What is actually on the disc?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Game is on shiny disk in pretty box to persuade people to buy it.

Bug fixed version which may work is in the boring non shiny, non pretty cloud.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      World is going mad
      There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

Douglas Adams
      (c:

Comment

World is going madder
        FTFY
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Well it looks like after downloading there is a need to "fix it" by changing folder permissions and manually installing DirectX. Disabling UAC will stop it demanding a password every time but even after that it won't work under the family safety controlled account at all.

I am giving up for now. Massive pile of steaming turd. It was supposed to be a present for a 7 year old FFS, not a ******* day of bulltulip troubleshooting.

I am going to invoice the ****ers.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Steam has been a help to me in one respect - It means I can occasionally play old platform games such as ID Software's Commander Keen
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Well, I did say it may work.

I feel your anger - I have spent hours getting brand new printers to work - I'm looking at you, Brother.

My Steam account has download many games into my nice new W8 installation - but as I don't bother to play them anymore, I don't know if they work!

Comment

Steam is very intrusive and there is nothing worse than playing a hard core strategic simulation of the battle of Kursk, then being told you have won an 'acheivement' for 'unlocking' the unit information panel, and your 'medal' will be shared with the steam 'community'
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Well it looks like after downloading there is a need to "fix it" by changing folder permissions and manually installing DirectX. Disabling UAC will stop it demanding a password every time but even after that it won't work under the family safety controlled account at all.

I am giving up for now. Massive pile of steaming turd. It was supposed to be a present for a 7 year old FFS, not a ******* day of bulltulip troubleshooting.

I am going to invoice the ****ers.

To be fair games generally will fail under those circumstances, if you don't want to faff about with a computer buy a console
                  Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                    To be fair games generally will fail under those circumstances, if you don't want to faff about with a computer buy a console
                    I don't see why something that controls what hours my son can use the computer should cause it to stop working. Plenty of other stuff, including older games like civ 4 work, and other desktop apps work, as family safety is set to allow all of them. It's just this scabrous piece of crap. It's marketed to 7 years olds. Did it really not occur to them to test it outside of an admin account?

The basic problem seems to be that they have done the standard lazy tuliphead developer thing of putting all user specific variable files under the main program files directories.

I am guessing this is why the PC version is substantially cheaper than the other versions and comes with a free ticket to legoland. They need to give it away to shift it.
                    Last edited by doodab; 16 March 2014, 17:31.

Comment

Working...
                    X