• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good government IT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good government IT

Well this came as a shock...

I got a form through the post to renew my photo card driving licence, with a newer (greyer and balder) photo. Now apparently you can go to a place called a "post office" and pay extra to have them submit the form for you, or send in the form with a thing called "a cheque" (maybe some of the older members can tell me what that is), or "apply online".

I was pretty pessimistic about the last option as when I renewed my passport 6 months ago, all "apply online" meant was that they sent you a form through the post with some of the details filled in, fill out a tiny tiny additional form with a debit card number to pay, and then still post it along with a printed photo (yes there is still such a thing) from one of those booths.

But get this, not only was I able to renew and pay for my new licence online, they used the photo from my passport.

Think about that for a minute. It's like the left hand and the right hand have worked out what each other is doing, and decided to work together to make the process easier.

Amazing.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

its the final sign, end of days I say, end of days.

Update. all is well in the world. I tried to renew my license, went through entered every bit of information, got through to entering passport numbers and timed out. phew!
    Last edited by woohoo; 17 March 2014, 11:34.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      its the final sign, end of days I say, end of days...
      Indeed. A competent government would be a frightening thing.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        But get this, not only was I able to renew and pay for my new licence online, they used the photo from my passport.
        Where did they get it from? That's your personal data.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          I emailed it to them
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Which you gave them with your consent when you applied for your passport. That consent no doubt containing in the small print the fact that you agreed to them using it for other identification purposes relating to you.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

They found it on a USB stick in Tesco's car park, of course

Comment

Working...
              X