• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice: Contract through umbrella late payments

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice: Contract through umbrella late payments

Hello,

newbie contractor here.

I'm currently have contract through umbrella. Agency started delaying payment, result of that for February I will be payed in the middle of April. Because I had low income this year, I need this payment on this financial year, because of lower income tax. Umbrella says they will not be able to backdate this payment if it comes later than 6th of April.

There is no contract breach between umbrella and agency, contract allows such delay. I have opted out, but I got all paperwork after I started working at client site, so I assume, that opt out is invalid.

Do I have any options here somehow to force this payment on this financial year? Maybe somehow forcing umbrella to pay me, before they get money from agency due to invalid opt out?

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Originally posted by meistrelis View Post
    Hello,

newbie contractor here.

I'm currently have contract through umbrella. Agency started delaying payment, result of that for February I will be payed in the middle of April. Because I had low income this year, I need this payment on this financial year, because of lower income tax. Umbrella says they will not be able to backdate this payment if it comes later than 6th of April.

There is no contract breach between umbrella and agency, contract allows such delay. I have opted out, but I got all paperwork after I started working at client site, so I assume, that opt out is invalid.

Do I have any options here somehow to force this payment on this financial year? Maybe somehow forcing umbrella to pay me, before they get money from agency due to invalid opt out?

Doesn't sound like the umbrella are paying you late as the title suggests. Sounds more like you are looking for the the umbrella to pay you early.

Comment

The umbrella company may choose to pay you early if they have a particularly good relationship with the agency that you are working with but otherwise it's unlikely tbh
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Question to OP.... Would you pay someone early before you have received payment from a client?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Question to OP.... Would you pay someone early before you have received payment from a client?
          I'm not the op. But yes of course. If that is what the contract stipulates.

Personally I have never, and have no intention of, sgning any contract which has credit terms which involve the agency beng paid.

one of the reasons for agency markup is credit risk.

I guess I may agree to it if there is an ultra low margin.

Comment

Op, you talk of low income this year. And you want the paymnt this tax year because of lower income tax.

it will make no difference. It may in effect make a little difference to when. But not how much. Tax is cumulative over a tax year.

that said, it will make a difference if you income is less than you personal allowances. 10k.

it will make a difference if you are basic rate this year and will be higher rate ne t year. But from your description it seems unlikey either of these apply.

Comment

Originally posted by meistrelis View Post
              Ask the agency why they are paying late. Do a credit check on the agency. Do a credit check on the client if it looks like they may be the problem.

Check out whether you have an protection if the agency / client / umbrella disappear owing you large sums of money.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
              X