• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oyster card trips

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oyster card trips

Hi guys,

Just begun my first contract and have been using pay as you go oyster card payments (London transport) to travel to and from site.

How can/should I expense this?

Thanks in advance and apologies if this is a relatively trivial question..

Z

Assuming you're eligible to claim business travel (e.g. its not your first and only umbrella gig), then register the card on the TFL website, get them to send you monthly trip reports by email, keep them and claim for the costs of each individual journey.

You might want to highlight the business trips on each report if you also use the card for personal journeys.

Alternatively, get a separate Oyster card that is only used for business journeys, to make reporting and reconciliation easier, but you still need to keep the reports and only claim for the cost of each journey.

You shouldn't claim for the top-ups in either case, just the journeys otherwise its likely to incur a BIK charge.

Comment

Link down at the moment, but this might be worth a look at when it is back up for the internal hmt policy.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...62922401,d.d2k

The treasury seem to be happy with expensing top ups.
      Last edited by ASB; 19 March 2014, 12:53.

Comment

Lots of threads on this that might help...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=oy...sm=93&ie=UTF-8
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Have a personal Oyster card that you use for personal travel.

Have another one that you have a direct debit to the company bank account. Register it online and download the list of journeys on that card, if necessary.

I didn't bother with that last step when I was in London, to be honest.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by zudecke View Post
            Hi guys,

Just begun my first contract and have been using pay as you go oyster card payments (London transport) to travel to and from site.

How can/should I expense this?

Thanks in advance and apologies if this is a relatively trivial question..

Z
            I just expense every time I top up my Oyster to that amount, as I only use the card for business travel, and also keep a log of the days I travel. Keeps it simple then.

Comment

I only ever use an Oyster card when I am in London on business so I have it linked to the company visa card. Sorted.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

FWIW when I escape my rural offshore bubble, I simply have the top ups direct to business bank account.

I'm not claiming that's a definitive treatment, but I'm not loosing sleep

Comment

I use an Oyster card here I claim for top-ups and the initial cost of the card, I registered the card on TFL and I print off the journey reports each month.
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

I too only use the card for business travel.

With that in mind, does the consensus recommend I pay for this from my business account and reclaim against the top ups/monthly travel?

I thought for things like travel, it was acceptable to be paid for and reclaimed against personal accounts?

Thanks for all the replies!

Z

Comment

Working...
                    X