• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Conspiracy to make contractors work away from home?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conspiracy to make contractors work away from home?

I notice from a number of the discussions that many contractors are working away from their homes, staying away during the week and travelling home at weekends. If you listen to the traffic news on Friday afternoons you'll see part of the consequences of that. Most of the recent contracts I've been contacted about recently are in the North of England, Europe or Ireland. Of course, I live in the South-East.
    This leads me to think that companies want their contractors to be detached from their families during the week so that they've nothing else to do so they might as well do some extra hours at work for nothing?
    A bit sceptical, maybe?

They want contractors. They don't care where they are based.

When I work away from home I leave work at the usual time and make the most of the local area (London = restaurants, films, theatre/ Yorkshire = walking, pubs, Harvey Nicks).

So yes, you are being sceptical.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by KenWhite View Post
      A bit sceptical, maybe?
      If anything they'd probably slightly prefer a local contractor (however remote the possibility of finding one), on the grounds that if the contractor is any good they might be able to persuade them to join as a permie.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Belive it or not, there are contractors who live in the north, Europe and Ireland. There are even some who post on here, don't you know.

Comment

Yep, they are out to get you ...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Yep, they are out to get you ...
            Be very very afraid
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If the rate's right I don't care where they want me to be.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                An interesting twist on the "Would Mich" questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  I think I saw a film about that...
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I wish there were more contracts up North. They do seem to be multiplying, though.

Comment

Working...
                    X