• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Giving Notice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving Notice

I've been contracting for the best part of ten years now and always seen a contract to the end. My current situation is that after 2 months of "resting", I'm 4 weeks in to a 6-month contract that I'm really enjoying. Trouble is, it's a 4-hour drive from home so I'm stopping in digs, and the money is just enough to pay the bills but not enough to pay off the debts of a credit card that was thoroughly spanked during a very lean and troubled year.

I've been offered a contract with a company who are 2 hours away from home and paying much better money. (I would still need digs but the rate would cover that with quite a bit to spare) and I'm tempted to exercise the 4-week notice period in my current contract but can't shake the feeling that I'd be letting the client down.

At the end of the day, I suspect that head will have to rule heart (it's only a 6-month contract) but having never been in this position before, I wondered what the general feeling is towards contractors who "jump ship"?

Any and all advice gratefully received.

Thanks for listening

Substitution

How about trying to get somebody else off the bench, post some details on here, or 'phone a fiend. Hand notice and offer somebody else instead. Are you from Up North, or darn sarf? working at the other end of the country?

Comment

Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
      How about trying to get somebody else off the bench, post some details on here, or 'phone a fiend. Hand notice and offer somebody else instead. Are you from Up North, or darn sarf? working at the other end of the country?
      Why didn't I think of that!

I live in the Southwest and the current job is for a Tech Author in the nuclear industry in Suffolk - which should narrow it down - writing docs for engineering systems that support the reactor and generators. Pitched to me as a 6-9 month contract, but there's so much going on that I wouldn't be surprised if it extended.
      SC clearance needed and a background awareness of HVAC, Gas dryers or cranes. It's a great place to work, really buzzing (no pun intended).

Now, I've taken up your suggestion, how about answering my question?

Comment

The four week notice period is a contractual clause and therefore quite acceptable to invoke, but I understand your reticence - I have been contracting longer than you and have only once exercised an early termination, and that was within the first week when I realised it just wouldn't work out.

If you are seriously considering this, then you are obviously considering "burning your bridges" with this client anyway, but have you considered explaining the situation to them? I'd say it's 95% certain that they'd tell you to push off, but if it's a good fit and they want you to do the work they might consider an adjustment, it's not unheard of.

If, on the other hand, you are doing something "beneath" you just to keep the wheels turning (and nothing wrong with that), then walk and consider the bridge burned.

If it helps, there are very few clients who would show you any loyalty if it came down to it!

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
          The four week notice period is a contractual clause and therefore quite acceptable to invoke, but I understand your reticence - I have been contracting longer than you and have only once exercised an early termination, and that was within the first week when I realised it just wouldn't work out.

If you are seriously considering this, then you are obviously considering "burning your bridges" with this client anyway, but have you considered explaining the situation to them? I'd say it's 95% certain that they'd tell you to push off, but if it's a good fit and they want you to do the work they might consider an adjustment, it's not unheard of.

If, on the other hand, you are doing something "beneath" you just to keep the wheels turning (and nothing wrong with that), then walk and consider the bridge burned.

If it helps, there are very few clients who would show you any loyalty if it came down to it!
          That's good advice, thanks.

The current role is not "beneath me" in any way and I would be sad to leave.

I should have pointed out that in this case my "client" i.e. the person who told the agent to bring me in (without interview) is a contractor, as are 90% of the other engineers in the project. I suspect (hope) that while they will be pee'd off at the hassle, they might also understand (to a certain extent) and I'd be left with bridges that are only slightly charred... The agent would be another matter.

That said, this role is 400 miles from my home while the other role is closer, offering more money and I've got bills to pay; so when you see it written down it's a no-brainer.

But still...

I think I'm thinking too much

Comment

Originally posted by MojoDog View Post
            I've been contracting for the best part of ten years now and always seen a contract to the end. My current situation is that after 2 months of "resting", I'm 4 weeks in to a 6-month contract that I'm really enjoying. Trouble is, it's a 4-hour drive from home so I'm stopping in digs, and the money is just enough to pay the bills but not enough to pay off the debts of a credit card that was thoroughly spanked during a very lean and troubled year.

I've been offered a contract with a company who are 2 hours away from home and paying much better money. (I would still need digs but the rate would cover that with quite a bit to spare) and I'm tempted to exercise the 4-week notice period in my current contract but can't shake the feeling that I'd be letting the client down.

At the end of the day, I suspect that head will have to rule heart (it's only a 6-month contract) but having never been in this position before, I wondered what the general feeling is towards contractors who "jump ship"?

Any and all advice gratefully received.

Thanks for listening
            How the hell after 10 years of contracting did you not have enough saved to deal with 2 months on the bench.. I'd suggest that once you get over the current dilemma of giving notice (or not) you take a long hard look at money management...

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ice View Post
              How the hell after 10 years of contracting did you not have enough saved to deal with 2 months on the bench.. I'd suggest that once you get over the current dilemma of giving notice (or not) you take a long hard look at money management...

Does that make you feel better about yourself?

What possible value does your arrogant, misinformed and ignorant response bring to this thread?

Comment

To GI: Bit harsh... no need for that; you (or I) don't know what the OP's been through and had to contend with throughout their career...

To the OP; I think you have a strong and valid case. In this day and age you shouldn't have to travel so far for work; considering we're a first world nation with abundant telecoms infrastructure, maybe a visit to the clientsite one or twice a fortnight to keep them happy could work. Otherwise I don't think it's unreasonable that you're looking for something closer to home. Gotta look after number one...

Comment

Originally posted by dmo View Post
                  To GI: Bit harsh... no need for that; you (or I) don't know what the OP's been through and had to contend with throughout their career...

To the OP; I think you have a strong and valid case. In this day and age you shouldn't have to travel so far for work; considering we're a first world nation with abundant telecoms infrastructure, maybe a visit to the clientsite one or twice a fortnight to keep them happy could work. Otherwise I don't think it's unreasonable that you're looking for something closer to home. Gotta look after number one...
                  Thank you.

Comment

People are saying this is a harsh question but it's the first thing I thought when I read it as well. I don't see why it shouldn't be mentioned. It's a fair question.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X