• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hundreds of thousands of war criminals living in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hundreds of thousands of war criminals living in the UK

BBC News - Warning over number of war crime suspects living in UK

....Mr Moore told the programme he had concerns about how the UK tracked people who "wield the cudgels, apply the electrodes, or systematically commit rape" during conflicts abroad and then flee to Britain.

Mr Moore, who has set up campaign group Torture Aware UK, said: "War crimes tend to be committed by junior soldiers, prison guards, police officers, security and intelligence agents and these are likely to run into, just over the last 20 years or so, probably hundreds of thousands of people who've been involved in war crimes.

"I can't see a clear strategy that suggests we are trying to answer the question 'how many people have we got?'."

Last year, the Home Office revealed how it had identified 115 war crimes suspects making UK immigration claims.....
    Hundreds of thousands?!!!

Those 115 war crime suspects are self reporting. They've declared themselves to the Home Office as possibly being a war criminal. The other hundreds of thousands? God knows.....

BBC News - UK 'underestimating' war crime suspect numbers

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
    BBC News - Warning over number of war crime suspects living in UK

Hundreds of thousands?!!!

Those 115 war crime suspects are self reporting. They've declared themselves to the Home Office as possibly being a war criminal. The other hundreds of thousands? God knows.....

BBC News - UK 'underestimating' war crime suspect numbers
    There's millions of war criminals in the UK! Raping our women and children and claiming benefits while living in 1 million pound mansions paid for by the taxpayer.
    It's a scandal I tell you! Vote UKEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPP!
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Last year, the Home Office revealed how it had identified 115 war crimes suspects making UK immigration claims.

However, Mr Moore said the true figure was likely to be significantly higher and called on the government actively to seek witness statements from victims of war crimes who had also claimed asylum in Britain.

Of the cases confirmed by the Home Office, suspects originated from countries including Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Rwanda, Serbia and Sri Lanka.

Between January 2012 and April 2013, the Home Office researched nearly 800 cases where individuals were suspected of war crimes and crimes against humanity.

It made "adverse recommendations" against 99 people who had applied for British citizenship, asylum or leave to remain in the UK. A further 16 war crimes suspects had applied to enter the UK.

Between 2005 and 2012 more than 700 suspected war criminals were identified by UK immigration officials.
      So where did the hundreds of thousands figure come from?
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        I think the number came from his guess that there may be hundreds of thousands in the world, and his assumption that every single one of them is now living in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          I expect he meant hundreds or thousands.

Comment

Since I moved out to Germany over the years I've noticed that Britain isn't the same any more.

There is no vandalism or hardly, there are no pick pockets, there are no scowling youths wandering the streets, no-one barges into you anymore, crowded trains are full of youths giving up their seats for elderly people, if you dropped your wallet, someone would pick it up and give it to you or hand it into the police, drunkards have disappeared from outside the pubs, people sit down and clap politely at football matches. The trains are clean, the stations are clean.

...it's just not the same anymore.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 24 March 2014, 09:31.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              I expect he meant hundreds or thousands.
              Or hundreds AND thousands?

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Is Tony Blair on the list?
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                X