• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taxation of Investment company - confused....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxation of Investment company - confused....

Hi All,
    I am hoping someone is able to clarify this one for me as I am confused over it ...

Scenario

Company A is setup to:-
    1. manage client money and invest it various trading activities and share in a profit share arrangement
    2. property build/development and sale (never rentals)

Questions

1. how is the company classified and what tax rate would apply to profits? small comp rate or full 26% rate?
    2. are client payments under profit share allowable as an expense and then corp tax is calculated or are company profits calculated and client returns are distributed post tax?

confused...

thks

From the your description the profits will be taxed at the rate appropriate to the level of them.

as for client money etc all depends on how they are handled what exactly you are doing with them etc.

of course you will need appropriate licences etc to avoid running an unauthorised investment scheme.

Comment

And you don't have an accountant?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        And you don't have an accountant?
        Or fca regulation, or the dipfa principals requirement or possibly a number of others depending on exactly what they are doing.

though im sure they could arrange a meet at visiting times with mr upton who I am sure can offer some hints on avoiding all that pesky regulation and the ongoing consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
          Or fca regulation, or the dipfa principals requirement or possibly a number of others depending on exactly what they are doing.

though im sure they could arrange a meet at visiting times with mr upton who I am sure can offer some hints on avoiding all that pesky regulation and the ongoing consequences.
          Good idea. Also, I believe Mr Madoff could offer some advice on paying out returns to clients.

Comment

Originally posted by elster View Post
            1. how is the company classified and what tax rate would apply to profits? small comp rate or full 26% rate?
            The 26% rate expired on 31st March 12. The main rate of CT is currently 23% but is being reduced to 21% as of next month.

I'm not entirely sure what it is that you are doing but I would advise speaking with an accountant that has experience dealing with the kind of set up you have.

I hope this helps.

Martin

Comment

Working...
            X