• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dive bars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dive bars

Everytrip to the US I will head out and try find a decent dive bar. US bars are always pretty much the same, long bar / dark, Irish pub, restaurant bar or Sports Bar.

They just don't really do decent bars. So last night checked out the Saloon bar in SF (among others).
    The Saloon - North Beach/Telegraph Hill - San Francisco, CA | Yelp

A blues bar, it was the first decent bar I've seen for sometime. The crowd was old, it was so old EternalOptimist would have been the baby. And gnarly. There were bikers, birds who looked like bikers, down n outs and kicking ass live blues. It was dark, dank, sweaty.

This was a place Suity would have tulip his pants.

For some reason some mountain of a man took offense when I sat on his jacket which was on the corner of a stool & gave me a shove, scowl and mouthful of abuse. I decided to shove him back. By the end of the night and as I was leaving this giant of a man bear hugged me and kissed me on the top of my forward. Weird.

It's the oldest bar in SF and worth a visit if you're over, but not for the lily livered.

Anyone else recommend any great dive bars?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

You forgot to mention that it's a dive of a Gay Bar?
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

So you've decided to ply your trade as a rent "boy" in San Francisco, probably not a bad choice going by the reputation of that city.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
        So you've decided to ply your trade as a rent "boy" in San Francisco, probably not a bad choice going by the reputation of that city.
        Would he do better in Las Vegas?

Comment

Last edited by greenlake; 23 March 2014, 17:01.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Would he do better in Las Vegas?
            I'm sure he's done his market research, probably targeting the dives looking for the right sort that favours his type.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              US bars are always pretty much the same
              You forgot the part about them always wanting to feed you. Its so annoying if you just want a few beers. After just one drink I always get a menu pushed in front of me and a 'server' keeps buzzing around to take my order.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                You forgot the part about them always wanting to feed you. Its so annoying if you just want a few beers. After just one drink I always get a menu pushed in front of me and a 'server' keeps buzzing around to take my order.
                Food got higher margins usually...

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                  You forgot to mention that it's a dive of a Gay Bar?
                  How dare you suggest that MF is at a gay bar in SF!

Its in Bristol - next to the mcdonalds he works in.

Comment

Jimmy's Corner in New York is good fun, but there are a million fun bars in NYC of course.

Comment

Working...
                    X