• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Barnyard vol. CCXXI

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Barnyard vol. CCXXI

Ridiculously busy today
    • Lessons From Bar Fight Litigation - "In a previous phase of my career, I had an insurance company sending my firm work, which wrote liability policies to a whole bunch of seedy bars. So I got to defend rather a lot of cases of negligence arising from bar fights. By special request, I’ve summed up some observations that I recollect from this part of my experience as a younger lawyer." Burt Likko on drunken brawls.

• Why do snakes have two penises? - "Recently somebody asked me "Why do snakes have two penises?" When I tried to answer, I realized that I didn't really know. I did know that they only use one at a time... Together, the two penises of squamates (snakes and lizards) are called hemipenes, and*each*individually is called a hemipenis." Plenty of snake hemipenis photos in this one, so NSFW if you work with prudish snakes.

• A Just-So Story About What May Have Happened At Mt.Gox - Emin Gün Sirer presents a theory about how the Bitcoin exchange could have lost so much without realising: "It's challenging to incorporate all these claims into a coherent narrative... what if transaction malleability and hackers were involved, not to steal money out of Mt. Gox, but to leave it in Mt. Gox's coffers, while simultaneously confusing Mt. Gox's accounting to the point of bankruptcy?"

• What I Learned Negotiating With Steve Jobs - Heidi Roizen on dealing with Jobs in the early days of NeXT: "On the appointed day, after waiting in the lobby for 45 minutes (this, I would come to learn, was par for the course for meetings with Steve), I was called up to Steve’s cubicle... He tore up the contract and handed me the pieces. “Come back at 50%, or don’t come back,” he said."

• Venereal Disease Propaganda - Sergeant Major Herbert A. Friedman (Ret.) looks through the history of attempts by the military to stop soldiers getting the clap: "War Department Pamphlet No. 21-15, depicts American troops hitting the beaches from a landing craft on some foreign shore and warns that VD might take them out of the picture. One wonders about the effectiveness of this illustration as positive propaganda. Given the choice of attacking a machine gun nest at Normandy or getting a needle in the butt at a comfortable aid station in the United Kingdom, the latter seems somewhat preferable."

• The Overprotected Kid - Hanna Rosin on the extremely protective attitudes of modern parents: "It’s hard to absorb how much childhood norms have shifted in just one generation. Actions that would have been considered paranoid in the ’70s—walking third-graders to school, forbidding your kid to play ball in the street, going down the slide with your child in your lap—are now routine. In fact, they are the markers of good, responsible parenting... Maybe the real question is, how did these fears come to have such a hold over us? And what have our children lost—and gained—as we’ve succumbed to them?"

• the sierpinski triangle page to end most sierpinski triangle pages ™ - Everything you could ever want to know, and much more, about the Sierpinski Triangle.

• An Imaginary Town Becomes Real, Then Not. True Story - "This is the story of a totally made-up place that suddenly became real — and then, strangely, undid itself and became a fantasy again."

• The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences® - "What comes next after 1, 2, 4, 9, 20, 48, 115, 286, 719, ... (for example)? This is the place to find out!" If it's a meaningful sequence of integers, you'll find it here. And if you don't, you can submit it for inclusion.

• Potholes - "Potholes is a series of photographs depicting the concave street cracks and holes as a collection of imaginative tableaux in the city. Captured within the backdrops of New York City, Los Angeles, Toronto and Montreal, the sets explore the urban flaws as a playground creating a multitude of uses out of the potholes." E.g.

Happy invoicing!

Working...
X