• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Parking Appeals

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parking Appeals

A few months ago (Oct 2013) I received a Penalty Charge Notice for allegedly contravening a restriction on using a road, which was reserved for buses only, in restricted hours, in the London Borough of Ealing.

I appealed to the Council, who rejected my appeal, and I made a further appeal to PATAS, who granted me a hearing before a Traffic Appeals Adjudicator.

I attended the appeal on Saturday, 22nd March, where I was offered the opportunity to present my case to an adjudicator, who is a Solicitor. The hearing took place in Angel. The evidence led by the Council was presented and was extensive and included video and photographs.

I took a multi-level approach and used the Department of Transport Signs Regulations, as well as pointing out a defect in the Penalty Charge Notice.

I won my case on Appeal. A small victory for the small man against Ealing Borough Council!

"He made a number of points concerning the adequacy of the signage at this place.

His last point was about the validity of the penalty notice.

The penalty notice in this case was issued under Section 6 of the London Local Authorities and Transport for London Act 2003. The local authority is entitled to issue the penalty notice to the person appearing to them to be the owner of the vehicle concerned.

Section 4(8) of the London Local Authorities and Transport for London act 2003 says that the penalty notice must state:
    1 the grounds on which the council or, as the case may be, Transport for London believe that the penalty charge is payable with respect to the vehicle;
    2 the amount of the penalty charge which is payable;
    3 that the penalty charge must be paid before the end of the period of 28 days beginning with the date of the notice;
    4 that if the penalty charge is paid before the end of the period of 14 days beginning with the date of the notice, the amount of the penalty charge will be reduced by the specified proportion;
    5 that, if the penalty charge is not paid before the end of the 28 day period, an increased charge may be payable;
    6 the amount of the increased charge;
    7 the address to which the penalty charge must be sent;
    8 that the person on whom the person is served may be entitled to make representations under paragraph 1 of Schedule 1 to the Act; and
    9 specify the form in which such representations are made.

Mr Scruff drew to my attention that the payment slip states that payment must be made in 14 days beginning when the notice is served. This of course is wrong and contrary to the correct instruction in the body of the notice.

In R (Barnet) v The Parking Adjudicator, CO/3355/2006, (judgment 2 August 2006), Mr Justice Jackson stated that a payment slip is not part of the penalty notice.

That case involved an on-street penalty.

This case involves a penalty notice-comprising documents-served by post.
    I can therefore distinguish the judgment.

In any event in the case of Hackney Drivers Association Limited v The Parking Adjudicator and Lancashire County Council CO/7565/2012 on 31st October 2012 Mr. Justice Raynor when considering a penalty notice asked at paragraph 11 of his judgment, "what was fairly conveyed by the penalty notice, read as a whole?" The recipient requires certainty.

I find that the recipient of the penalty notice document read as a whole does not receive certainty.

I will therefore allow the appeal."
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Jolly good.

I got away with one a few years back because of ambiguous signage (I'd genuinely misinterpreted it!)

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post

In R (Barnet) v The Parking Adjudicator, CO/3355/2006, (judgment 2 August 2006), Mr Justice Jackson stated that a payment slip is not part of the penalty notice.

"[/I]
      Well done. I personally used the Jackson one to get 2 grand back from my local council via the courts in 2007

Comment

So you were actually in the wrong but got off on a technicality?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Congrats. And congrats for taking the effort.

I got done in bath In a bus lane. Only problem is that the photo was front facing and it showed my car before tbe first prohibition sign. I realised what I was about to do and backed up.

written appeal was dismissed, so I just paid the 30. Shortly after the signage was completely changed.

it was just too much hassle to bother. Which of course is precisely why all this crap happens.

Comment

So you broke the law, albeit a minor one but were able to escape justice by pointing out a minor administrative error with the paperwork?

Ok so it's probably a good thing that the mistake is rectified, but it's hardly a victory for anyone.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It's a victory for me and all the victims of Council ineptitude. Most just get bullied into submission. I was clearly not guilty of the offence, so clearly pointed out by the adjudicator.
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

It's a victory for me and all the victims of Council ineptitude. Most just get bullied into submission. I was clearly not guilty of the offence, so clearly pointed out by the adjudicator.
                So you didn't drive down a road that was reserved for buses only then?!

Comment

Has anyone ever appealed a FPN (fixed penalty notice) rather than the PCN (penalty charge notice)?
                  I wanted to appeal a FPN once but it was issued by PC Plod for my parking on a 'bend'.
                  The bend was about as sharply curved as the surface of the planet, but I chickened out of appealing because FPN issued by police are backed with a power of criminal prosecution if the penalty is not paid. As opposed to PCNs which are only backed by powers to obtain payment by civil action.

Comment

A little bit of retrospective legislation should sort you out, my lad.

Comment

Working...
                    X