• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it acceptable to ask ClientCo's customer for reference or LinkedIn recommendation?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it acceptable to ask ClientCo's customer for reference or LinkedIn recommendation?

I'm contracted through an agency to ClientCo, for a very short (5 - 7) weeks contract and project. The whole project has been on ClientCo's Customers site and I only see people from ClientCo a couple of times a week. ClientCo is fine, but their customer loves me and what I've managed to build for them. The IT Manager has also looked me up and added me on LinkedIn.

It's pretty clear that in terms of references or recommendations, it would probably be business neutral from ClientCo (Plus, I've never even met or spoke to the person who signed me off) but glowing from their Customer.

Is this legit? How do references and recommendations normally work in the contracting game? All advice appreciated!

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    I'm contracted through an agency to ClientCo, for a very short (5 - 7) weeks contract and project. The whole project has been on ClientCo's Customers site and I only see people from ClientCo a couple of times a week. ClientCo is fine, but their customer loves me and what I've managed to build for them. The IT Manager has also looked me up and added me on LinkedIn.

It's pretty clear that in terms of references or recommendations, it would probably be business neutral from ClientCo (Plus, I've never even met or spoke to the person who signed me off) but glowing from their Customer.

Is this legit? How do references and recommendations normally work in the contracting game? All advice appreciated!
    If it helps you get more business in the future (either with this particular client handcuff clauses aside, or other clients), then why not do it?
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Why bother with a reference? If they have anything about them they will give just the dates you worked for them and the role, which this guy can't give. They don't give reams of pages of how good you are any more.

You can ask but IMO it's an utter waste of time and when you F' up and the manager starts getting him pimps calling him 3 times a day cause you put his name as a ref the relationship is gonna sour.

Add him to linkedin, use him as some valuable networking but forget this reference bollocks.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        You'll probably find LinkedIn recommendations are given on the basis of how well you get on with people on a personal basis so if the relationship with CustomerCo is as good as it sounds then I would go for it, no reason at all not to that I can see.

Boo
        Last edited by Boo; 26 March 2014, 10:46.

Comment

Fair points, NLUK and everyone else, I'll ask him to drop something on LinkedIn and keep the recruiters away!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Why bother with a reference? If they have anything about them they will give just the dates you worked for them and the role, which this guy can't give. They don't give reams of pages of how good you are any more.

You can ask but IMO it's an utter waste of time and when you F' up and the manager starts getting him pimps calling him 3 times a day cause you put his name as a ref the relationship is gonna sour.

Add him to linkedin, use him as some valuable networking but forget this reference bollocks.
            This!

Comment

Working...
            X