• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ISA question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ISA question

I've just converted my existing Santander ISA to a 2yr fixed deal on 2.3%. However for new money, Coventry offer 2.75%.

As long as I make sure not to contribute to both in the same tax year, there's nothing to stop me having both, is there?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I've just converted my existing Santander ISA to a 2yr fixed deal on 2.3%. However for new money, Coventry offer 2.75%.

As long as I make sure not to contribute to both in the same tax year, there's nothing to stop me having both, is there?
    That sounds right - you can open a new one for each year.

Hoping there will be some better deals along in July when the new ISA comes into effect, so avoiding fixed rate for now.

Comment

Why do you have a cash ISA? Any serious contractor will be building up an investment portfolio, cash is just a wasting asset, even if enhanced by an ISA wrapper.

However, as a previous poster has said, from July the limit will be £15,000 for both cash or investments and they can be swopped between each type, but wait until July before fixing your cash.
      "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
        Why do you have a cash ISA? Any serious contractor will be building up an investment portfolio, cash is just a wasting asset, even if enhanced by an ISA wrapper.
        Any serious investor (whether you're a contractor is totally irrelevant) seeks a diverse investment portfolio including cash.

MS: yeah the new rules are interesting. My Santander fixed ISA says all 2014/15 contributions must be paid in by the end of May so I've no idea what they're going to do about the changes in July... if subscribers will find they cannot invest the remaining ~£9k in a cash ISA 2014/15. But many of the top deals work like this so it seems the best option is not to rush in and contribute to a 2014/15 ISA until the providers update in July?

Comment

Why do you have a cash ISA?
          1) Diversification of portfolio

2) Decent interest rate for instant access accounts (albeit not if you put it in an ISA which has a notice period or fixed for a while)
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Why do you have a cash ISA?
            Tax free - even if now rates are low, later they will come back up but the allowance will be lost if not used now.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Coventry offer 2.75%.

It's a 3.5 year fixed rate just in case you hadn't spotted that!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                It's a 3.5 year fixed rate just in case you hadn't spotted that!
                If the rates change, then the penalty for ditching isn't that high - there is a discussion on MSE about it which gives the effective interest rates depending on when you give notice.

1 year = 1.85%
                2 years = 2.3%
                3 years = 2.75%
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

WTFS

Only one year's worth of ISA will go in and get locked away and if you MUST access it you can.

Comment

I know, just pointing it out

Comment

Working...
                    X