• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Involvement in local community

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Involvement in local community

Does anyone here get actively involved in their local community for things that aren't directly related to their kids' activities?

Anyone sit on a local or community council? Arrange or get involved in local events?

Edit: Forgot to add Coastguard reserves and the like.
    Last edited by Pondlife; 26 March 2014, 13:43.

Does swinging count?

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
      Does swinging count?
      Nope

Ditto for Dogging

Comment

This is CUK. We prefer to complain about things rather than actually do anything to try to fix them

Comment

Wife and a couple of other church friends in our parish volunteer to join our local council of some sort when it was looking for people.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Yep, I look after the local cricket field.

Don't get anything for it other than the thrill of hooking up a big gang mower to the back of me Landy and getting to drive that around

Comment

Chappy here is 'on call' at least 1 weekend a month to (motorbike) transport organs for transplant. Admirable ticket to heaven.

I give a week a year marshalling sport stuff but I am really just perving

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                One of the downsides of contracting is the short duration nature of your engagement with organisations.
                ??? That's an upside for me. I get bored working for too long with any one organisation.

Comment

Used to coach the kids at the rugby club but stopped due to working away from home. Lady Tester is chair of the tennis club but is stopping shortly due to work commitments. As for local politics, well, if I worked nearby I'd consider it, but frankly it looks a bit boring.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I've never done anything I have to admit. It's easy to blame the transitory nature of contracting and moving around and so but the reality is I'm lazy and don't like people very much. The missus has her fingers in all sorts of pies though, she is good like that.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X