• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If China’s economy craters, the UK’s banks are on the hook

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If China’s economy craters, the UK’s banks are on the hook

Had not realised the UK was so exposed to China's debt.

http://qz.com/192273/if-chinas-econo...k/#/h/56751,2/

As concerns mount about the health of China’s economy, and particularly the possibility of a property bubble bursting and a sharp rise in bad loans, who is going to be left holding bad debt has become a looming question.
    +
    While China’s own state-run banks provide much of the liquidity for the country’s businesses, foreign banks have stepped up lending to China as well in recent years. They now have over $1 trillion in loans outstanding to China’s public and private companies, according to data from Switzerland’s Bank for International Settlements (BIS), which advises central banks. Of these, Hong Kong’s banks remain the most exposed to China, as Quartz recently reported, with about $446 billion (Table 3.11.3) in loans outstanding to Chinese companies and banks as of this month.
    +
    After Hong Kong, the UK takes the lead by far. (As a note, banks in several countries, particularly in emerging markets like Russia or Latin America, aren’t listed, because they don’t report to the Bank for International Settlements):

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Well it's not really a surprise given that the city is the worlds leading financial centre.

The UK financial institutions are on the hook for a lot of lending. That's why they are the worlds leading financial centre.

Comment

Africa's economy will get a huge setback too but on the plus side the elephants and rhinos might be a bit safer.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

But, but.. the stress tests!?

Comment

Plus we can always print our way out of trouble... and if that doesn't work I think we have a company that print most other world currencies

Comment

In the event of financial disaster we could always flog Scotland on Ebay I guess?

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
              In the event of financial disaster we could always flog Scotland on Ebay I guess?
              Scotland is nobodies bitch.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                Plus we can always print our way out of trouble... and if that doesn't work I think we have a company that print most other world currencies
                Not long until a packet of digestives costs £24

Comment

All the money was lent via the Scottish arm of the banks. In a few months England's trouble will be over.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    All the money was lent via the Scottish arm of the banks. In a few months England's trouble will be over.
                    London has always being Scotland's bitch.

Comment

Working...
                    X