• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dumb ass of the week!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb ass of the week!

Richard Durkin wins 16-year laptop credit wrangle with HFC bank

BBC News - Richard Durkin wins 16-year laptop credit wrangle with HFC bank

In 2008 Aberdeen Sheriff Court ruled that he was entitled to reject the laptop and cancel the sale and the credit agreement and awarded damages of £116,000.

The decision was overturned later by judges at the Court of Session in Edinburgh after Mr Durkin himself appealed against the size of the damages.

"Damages resulting from HFC's breach of its duty of care are confined to injury to Mr Durkin's credit in the sum of £8,000.

Richard Durkin: "I've got myself in a lot of debt seeing this through"

Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    Dumb ass of the week! ...
    Maybe, but all the same doggedly taking on a large arrogant corporation and winning is worthy of respect IMHO

Sometime I'll tell the story of how I came within hours of freezing the bank accounts of Transport for London, only stopped by frantic phone calls from their legal department and a grovelling apology and refund
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Sometime I'll tell the story of how I came within hours of freezing the bank accounts of Transport for London, only stopped by frantic phone calls from their legal department and a grovelling apology and refund
      Now is a good time...

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
        Now is a good time...

No time this morning. Also, it was about ten years ago and I'll have to try and remember all the details.

Leave it with me for now ..
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

KUATB

but it was to clear his credit rating.

He returned the laptop as not as described they wanted to hang on to the HP deal rather than cancelling. They could of come to an agreement years ago and not hurt his credit rating.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
          X