• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking breaks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking breaks

Hello

I recently started a new contract with a Pension provider for a 6 month role. My own fault but I didnt query the contract (didnt get it until friday at 4:30 and I had to start monday) due to being in a rush. The contract states:

a minimum of eight (8) hours per Business Day, forty
    (40) hours per week

So would that include a break or not? The agency told me it was a standard 9-5, 1 hour lunch (as has been the case in the last role which lasted 4.5 years). So I've gone from working 7 hours a day (min) to 8 hours a day (min). Now I'm not that bothered about that tbh though it is a tad annoying and I cant help but feel like I'm being taken advantage of (full time employees do a 35 hour week).

Now on top of this I'm now being told I HAVE to take a break....which means I can get in even earlier or stay later. I was under the impression that legally I dont have to take a break if I dont want too (though when I briefly discussed this with line manager yesterday I was told it was a legal requirement)?

This has only been communicated yesterday, a month after I started the position to coincide with around 15 other contractors starting this week. There is nothing in the contract that states anything to do with breaks so unsure how I stand here

Any advice on this please

How do you stand? You stand just like me as I have exactly the same conditions.

Yes, it is a legal requirement for the client to provide breaks (30 minutes lunch).

If you're so upset by it, remember to check during the interview next time.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by ODB View Post
      Hello

I recently started a new contract with a Pension provider for a 6 month role. My own fault but I didnt query the contract (didnt get it until friday at 4:30 and I had to start monday) due to being in a rush. The contract states:

a minimum of eight (8) hours per Business Day, forty
      (40) hours per week

So would that include a break or not? The agency told me it was a standard 9-5, 1 hour lunch (as has been the case in the last role which lasted 4.5 years). So I've gone from working 7 hours a day (min) to 8 hours a day (min). Now I'm not that bothered about that tbh though it is a tad annoying and I cant help but feel like I'm being taken advantage of (full time employees do a 35 hour week).

Now on top of this I'm now being told I HAVE to take a break....which means I can get in even earlier or stay later. I was under the impression that legally I dont have to take a break if I dont want too (though when I briefly discussed this with line manager yesterday I was told it was a legal requirement)?

This has only been communicated yesterday, a month after I started the position to coincide with around 15 other contractors starting this week. There is nothing in the contract that states anything to do with breaks so unsure how I stand here

Is it still worth the money? If so stay and don;t complain. If not, renegotiate and if you fail, leave. Worst thing is to stay and complain.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Worst thing is to stay and complain.
        This, plus the fact that a certain poster on here has already claimed top spot in that position, so there's no room for a second!

Comment

If the client is legally required to provide breaks, are you as a contractor legally obliged to take them?

Comment

It's normal to have to take a break, 30 mins minimum.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Hello

That is no excuse. More worryingly is you didn't get it IR35 checked either.

How can you say that when you didn't even bother to review the contract first?

Check your contract and query it before signing. Thank god they didn't just put professional working day lol.

Appears you have two choices as already mentioned...
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Check your contract and query it before signing. Thank god they didn't just put professional working day lol.

Appears you have two choices as already mentioned...
                Maybe he works through a brolly or is slam dunk inside IR35?

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  How do you stand? You stand just like me as I have exactly the same conditions.

Yes, it is a legal requirement for the client to provide breaks (30 minutes lunch).

If you're so upset by it, remember to check during the interview next time.
                  In the interview I was told an hour lunch. However contract doesnt specifically state that

So are you saying based on the contract terms I poisted a break should be within that and not outside of it?

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                  If the client is legally required to provide breaks, are you as a contractor legally obliged to take them?
                  I dont know if they are legally entitled to provide them though I know I'm not legally obliged to take them (this being the point as they are trying to force me to take them and stay later)

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  It's normal to have to take a break, 30 mins minimum.
                  Agreed...but if it doesnt specifically state it in the contract

How could I? I didnt get it until the last minute and the agency were useless. I did all the chasing and I had to get stuff done (like references) cause they didnt. I wanted to review but was promised the contract on the monday, didnt get it until the friday. End of the day I couldnt risk being out of work

I did...it doesnt state anything about breaks, just the 8 hours thing. On the back of what I'd already been told seemed ok and wouldnt have had time to sort it out any further anyway getting it so late

Comment

How could I? I didnt get it until the last minute and the agency were useless. I did all the chasing and I had to get stuff done (like references) cause they didnt. I wanted to review but was promised the contract on the monday, didnt get it until the friday. End of the day I couldnt risk being out of work
                    Once they have committed to you you hold a certain position power. It won't be worth their while to bin you and start the process with someone else so you can dictate the terms a little. You accept verbally saying 'subject to contract review' and make it clear to them at all stages of the process you will not start until you have a contract and it get's reviewed. That then puts the onus on them to get it sorted. Any delays for contract review will fall squarely on their shoulders. You get the contract on Friday and tell them again, subject to review which takes 24 hours (if you pay for the QDOS service) you will start on Tuesday.

There is no risk at all there, just a day less billing which will be considerably cheaper than finding out your are inside IR35.

And IMO if the contract says you are paid for 8 hours work then you must work 8 hours. You don't get paid for breaks and lunch. Some clients take the piss and some don't. Such is the world of contracting.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X