• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting my mum up to speed with computers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting my mum up to speed with computers

My mum is about 70 and pretty bright, but despite using email and so on at work before retiring, she's never really "got" computers. She can do a few things by rote but you can tell talking to her that she really doesn't understand basics like what a website is, and this lack of fundamental understanding means she doesn't know enough to use her brains to figure things out, she just gets stuck and then sort of paralysed in case she does something wrong.

We live far away so I can't go and help her out, I wondered what advice anyone can offer? I suggested she might take a course but I think she was a bit offended and thought I was saying she was too stupid to understand... she believes that she's actually quite good on computers because she can send an email or buy something on Amazon. I'm sure with just a little understanding, she'd quickly catch on and find the web a much more useful resource.

Ta.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    My mum is about 70 and pretty bright, but despite using email and so on at work before retiring, she's never really "got" computers. She can do a few things by rote but you can tell talking to her that she really doesn't understand basics like what a website is, and this lack of fundamental understanding means she doesn't know enough to use her brains to figure things out, she just gets stuck and then sort of paralysed in case she does something wrong.

We live far away so I can't go and help her out, I wondered what advice anyone can offer? I suggested she might take a course but I think she was a bit offended and thought I was saying she was too stupid to understand... she believes that she's actually quite good on computers because she can send an email or buy something on Amazon. I'm sure with just a little understanding, she'd quickly catch on and find the web a much more useful resource.

Ta.
    Perhaps get her a tablet instead; there's a lot less nonsense functionality and it seems 'beginners' can use them very quickly.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Ta.
      Put her in contact with Suity's mum. She's all over the web.

Comment

Kindle fire HD, she will be up & running in minutes. Mrs V is a bit of a technophobe but she loves her Kindle tablet.

Get it on broadband and it just works.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Perhaps get her a tablet instead; there's a lot less nonsense functionality and it seems 'beginners' can use them very quickly.
          +1

My mum had a nightmare with computers but is fine with an iPad - and she can do everything she needs to do on it. It's far more intuitive for people who have little experience with computers.
          Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

A tablet is an idea and the "can't bork it" part is good, but she would still need a computer for writing the odd letter and possibly some online banking type stuff. Her XP laptop has started warning about end-of-life and the thought of trying to guide her set up with not just a new laptop, but W8, isn't ideal
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

A tablet is an idea and the "can't bork it" part is good, but she would still need a computer for writing the odd letter and possibly some online banking type stuff. Her XP laptop has started warning about end-of-life and the thought of trying to guide her set up with not just a new laptop, but W8, isn't ideal
              Chromebook? Haven't looked at it in detail but thought about it for my mum.

Comment

So she can use email, and she can do shopping.

What else does she want to be able to do / do you think she should be doing? It might be that a new device would make things easier, it may be that she just needs a bit of help / another way of explaining things.

Comment

what you need is a requirements workshop -SUITY!!!!!!
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I went through this (painful) experience with a parent - key point I would suggest is install a remote desktop so you can see what they are typing as it is a completely new language to them and trying to convey / understand over a telephone call is frustrating gto both parties - think this will preclude a tablet though

HTH
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X