• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What should I do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should I do?

Any advice on the following?

A few weeks ago, I got one of those cards posted through the door saying that the post office were holding a letter for me, as it did not have enough postage.

I went to the post office and asked to see said item. It was the renewal contract from the agency. I thought - not paying £1.05 for this, give it back, the PO will return it and the agency can send it again with the correct postage. (there was no hurry for it anyway). I also asked them to weigh it, just to see how much it was overweight - 4 f***ing grams.

At this point, the cow behind the counter started getting a bit sarcy about the whole thing, so I remonstrated with her about the whole thing being a rip off.

To cut a long story short, just found out from the agency that she returned the letter to them, with some personal comments added that I was very cheeky, "fired" the letter back at her (dunno how through a glass screen mind), and that if she was them, she wouldn't offer me a job. Obviously read the whole thing

Is this:

a) Legal?
    b) In any way moral?

What should I do?

Originally posted by CarolB View Post
    Any advice on the following?

A few weeks ago, I got one of those cards posted through the door saying that the post office were holding a letter for me, as it did not have enough postage.

I went to the post office and asked to see said item. It was the renewal contract from the agency. I thought - not paying £1.05 for this, give it back, the PO will return it and the agency can send it again with the correct postage. (there was no hurry for it anyway). I also asked them to weigh it, just to see how much it was overweight - 4 f***ing grams.

At this point, the cow behind the counter started getting a bit sarcy about the whole thing, so I remonstrated with her about the whole thing being a rip off.

To cut a long story short, just found out from the agency that she returned the letter to them, with some personal comments added that I was very cheeky, "fired" the letter back at her (dunno how through a glass screen mind), and that if she was them, she wouldn't offer me a job. Obviously read the whole thing

Is this:

a) Legal?
    b) In any way moral?

What should I do?
    You should ask Beaker.

Comment

Is this:

a) Legal?
      b) In any way moral?

a) Well, she probably had to open the letter to work out who the sender was, so as for opening your mail, no, it was justified and necessary for her to do her job.

However, if she wrote additional comments on the letter of a defamatory nature, you may be able to take matters further.

b) I'm not qualified to comment on that, since several of the posters on here seem to believe that allowing terrorists to run amok is morally acceptable. Go ask them.
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by RandyW View Post
        You should ask Beaker.
        He'll be along in a minute
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

wow, carolB's one-and-fivepence. I had entirely entirely forgotten about that. The post office has probably closed down now anyway.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...on-carolb.html

Comment

Good grief, no I didn't Zeity.

All these restless posts, emerging from their aeons slumber, to lay havoc and wreak misery again upon the hapless readers.

It's like Dawn of The Thread...
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

I remember a series of hilarious replies to this posting. If someone feels like resurrecting them, please do.

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                Good grief, no I didn't Zeity.

All these restless posts, emerging from their aeons slumber, to lay havoc and wreak misery again upon the hapless readers.

It's like Dawn of The Thread...

Well! I thought it was hysterical
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I remember this one from a couple of years back!!!!

Let's have a golden oldie session
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                    I remember this one from a couple of years back!!!!

Let's have a golden oldie session
                    How about this one?

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...t=house+prices

Topical as ever.

Comment

Working...
                    X