• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

300 objects scattered over a wide area of ocean

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

300 objects scattered over a wide area of ocean

Three things:

1. 300 objects scattered over a wide area of ocean says to me "explosion" rather than "plane hits ocean at speed and promptly sinks rapidly" - does it not? I am not a pilot, but I have an A-level in Further Maths with Mechanics. Discuss.

2. Someone somewhere, quite possibly a Bob, has written auto pilot software along the lines of: try {...} catch {fly to south pole}, seriously, and that would not surprise me one jot. Discuss.

3. I have returned from permiedom. Can I now have my licence back please? Discuss.

M
    Last edited by moorfield; 27 March 2014, 21:28.

Either no ones knows yet, or a government does and is covering it up

The press though no sod all hence all the crackpot theories
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

300 objects might seem a tad too many
      300 objects with me and my friend Kenny...

John Shuttleworth

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
        Three things:

1. 300 objects scattered over a wide area of ocean says to me "explosion" rather than "plane hits ocean at speed and promptly sinks rapidly" - does it not? I am not a pilot, but I have an A-level in Further Maths with Mechanics. Discuss.
        When a plane hits the water at high speed then the kinetic energy of the falling object is very high and the effect is like crashing into concrete which is why most aircraft break up when experiencing an uncontrolled impact into the sea unless, like the Hudson event, it was a controlled landing and a very good one at that, kudos to Sullenberger.

With the current supposition of the incident that suggests a plane running out of fuel at high altitude and a possible uncontrolled descent into the sea, after 3 weeks of wreckage being exposed to tidal forces, it may well be that it has spread over a large area.

At the moment, we don't know anything until all the wreckage and flight recorder are identified and found.
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Three things:

2. Someone somewhere, quite possibly a Bob, has written auto pilot software along the lines of: try {...} catch {fly to south pole}, seriously, and that would not surprise me one jot. Discuss.

3. I have returned from permiedom. Can I now have my licence back please? Discuss.

M

Blimey O'Reilly!

There's a blast from the past.

Dennis Wise didn't work out too well did he?

Comment

re "Someone somewhere, quite possibly a Bob, has written auto pilot software along the lines of" plenty of life critical stuff has been written by raw grads with limited supervision... lots of it live out there...

Comment

Three things:

No - explosion would say 30000 bits scattered over a wider area.

Control software is duplicated and written by separate teams, the systems run in parallel for redundancy - not sure about 777, but Airbus IIRC has at least three versions of anything critical running in real time, precisely so that a bit of bad code doesn't bring the plane down.

M
              No idea how that works.

Comment

And the search area has moved again

BBC News - LIVE: Malaysia Airlines flight MH370: Search area shifts

Comment

The new area seems to be based on recalculating where it was likely to crash based on its speed.

So what about all the debris? Are they now dismissing it?

Comment

HyperDs alien theory is still at least a nose in front.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X