• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is life today just super awesome?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is life today just super awesome?

I've long been a proponent that life today is so much better than say 100 years ago. And I truly believe this.

When I listen to people moan, I point out that when they sit their in their living room the tablet PC gives them the internet in their lap!

Now I have to risk making my point in my third paragraph, and that in turn risks getting lots of posts from the DM readers that cannot read more than 100 words, but my point is this. Are we getting more tolerant, globally? Tonight for example my taxi driver and I have a 15 minute chat outside my house about scripture from the bible and the Qu'uaran. It was a really lovely chat, and while I consider myself Christian, the debate was lively, informed and impartial. This for me IS AWESOME!

Also I have friends now in Germany, that I keep in touch with via Facebook or Skype. Recently I had a language query, posted on FB and hours later had rafts of responses from our German cousins telling me the answer.

I realise I may be having a bi-polar high, but isn't this just a great time to be alive (providing you are in a free society)?

And surely the burden on all of us is to help with the movements that aid the less fee societies?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Vino Collapso tonight?

Comment

Nah pretty sober by all accounts. Not fully vibing with the new work crowd so went for solo beers. 1 at the counting house, 1 at St Pancras and 2 at the local.

Just designed my own kebab courtesy of just-eat so again awsome.

Comment

To be fair the CUK-er I work with is lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          To be fair the CUK-er I work with is lovely.
          He was on earlier and said the opposite.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Can I have some please?

Comment

And surely the burden on all of us is to help with the movements that aid the less fee societies?
              You Sir are one of the reasons we're stirring up or joining wars that have nothing to do with us.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                You Sir are one of the reasons we're stirring up or joining wars that have nothing to do with us.
                Explain yourself or FOAD oh puppet made of socks.

Comment

When I listen to people moan, I point out that when they sit their in their living room the tablet PC gives them the internet in their lap!
                  THis may be amazing but whether it's better is totally up for debate. I don't think people who sit with their tablet in front of their 40" TV are happier than people who sat watching a 20" with no internet even as recently as the 80/90s. 100 years ago people might have been playing games rather than watching TV and there's a lot to be said for actually interacting over cards/games/etc.

It seems to me one theme we've realised over history is that increasing luxury doesn't increase happiness. Take your luxury away and you might be unhappy, give you more luxury and you aren't happier.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X