• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Africa

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Africa

Hi,
    I am not sure if this is the right place to post, I found this site via google....but here goes.

I am an engineer and have seen a role advertised in Angola. I currently contract in the UK. The angolans want to interview me, but I am struggling with getting a rate out of the agency. If it was a uk job I'd probably have told them to clear off, but I am quite intrigued by what might be on offer here.

The agency are asking me what my current rate is (obviously I havent told them!). I have said that my current rate is neither here nor there as I currently have a 30 minute drive to work, centrally heated office, no danger of kidnap etc....

Does anyone have an idea of what kind of rate I might expect? I dont have a clue! Or is there another Forum that anyone can recomend - maybe an ex-pat contractors forum?
    I am currently getting mid 30's in the UK. The price I had in mind for angola would be 2-3 times that. Plus I would want transport and accomodation sorting. Am I being too optimistic, or does that sound about right?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Pretty unrelated but have you seen Angola airport on google earth? There are at least 4 aircraft that have crashed and have just been left where they ended up. Not the best site to see when your taking off/landing...

Luzamba airport: plane-wreck central

etc
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have a "friend" who worked there:

Paid "offshore"
      All Flights Business Class paid for
      All Accommodation in Compound style apartment paid for
      All Food / entertainment paid for
      Said apartment had own electriciy generator
      Ditto fresh water filtration system
      Ditto Satellite System
      All mobile phone and internet communication paid for
      Driver and vehicle provided (the roads are undrivable - potholes/human detritus/slums)
      Gobsmackingly expensive (Luanda was the most expensive city in the world a few years back).

Company was International SOS...look them up.

Beaches / fishing / expat lifestyle was amazing.

I wouldn't go for less than £800 per day AFTER all this was covered.
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

I know nothing about Angola (except apparently lots of Portuguese have been heading out there to escape local unemployment in a Portuguese speaking country).

Try: Africa : British Expat Discussion Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          I know nothing about Angola (except apparently lots of Portuguese have been heading out there to escape local unemployment in a Portuguese speaking country).

Try: Africa : British Expat Discussion Forum
          I might have to register on there. I would have a field day..

Look at this for a total lack of research in to a potentially life changing move....

I have seen posts on this subject but cant find them anymore.

I have been contacted for a job in Nigeria its a fairly high end job.

I would like to know.

1. is it safe now
          2. I have Children 5 and 14. Both boys what are the schools like?
          3. My wife is a Tennis Coach. Will she find clients.

Which areas are best for living and are there any compounds.

All comments welcome
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I might have to register on there. I would have a field day..

Look at this for a total lack of research in to a potentially life changing move....
            Oh go on and troll them pleeeaaassssee.
            Permietractor (probably)

Comment

Originally posted by blankton View Post
              Hi,
              I am not sure if this is the right place to post, I found this site via google....but here goes.

I am an engineer and have seen a role advertised in Angola. I currently contract in the UK. The angolans want to interview me, but I am struggling with getting a rate out of the agency. If it was a uk job I'd probably have told them to clear off, but I am quite intrigued by what might be on offer here.

The agency are asking me what my current rate is (obviously I havent told them!). I have said that my current rate is neither here nor there as I currently have a 30 minute drive to work, centrally heated office, no danger of kidnap etc....

Does anyone have an idea of what kind of rate I might expect? I dont have a clue! Or is there another Forum that anyone can recomend - maybe an ex-pat contractors forum?
              I am currently getting mid 30's in the UK. The price I had in mind for angola would be 2-3 times that. Plus I would want transport and accomodation sorting. Am I being too optimistic, or does that sound about right?

Any advice would be appreciated!

I have experience of working in Angola. If you know nothing about the country then start by reading this:

"Blue Dahlia, Black Gold: A Journey Into Angola"

Angola ( Luanda, 'cos that's likely where you would be ) is the most expensive city on earth. It costs about $80 - 150 for a decent meal. A reasonable standard home for a family of 4 is about $20k per month. A coke is about $10.

Of course that's only if you want "Western standard" the average Angolan lives on about $2 per day .... so there is huge poverty. As a Westerner for an oil company you would be a target so you will be advised to travel everywhere by car. If you are working for a reputable company you will almost certainly have to travel by company car.

Most of the expat families live outside the city and travel in on company buses. The traffic is horrendous with commutes taking hours and the city regularly grinding to a halt.

There is endemic corruption.

The oil co I was at paid staff an 80% uplift on salary, plus all housing costs, plus a retention bonus ..... and it was tax free. So that's the sort of uplift you will need to maintain a reasonable standard of living.

Angola is a really hard place to live. Even for a few weeks.

Having said all that though it is also pretty amazing. There is outstanding levels of growth in the city. And if you are in Oil & Gas it's were the action is. Wild-West-Africa. Everything goes.

I have friends who absolutely love it. And those who hate it.

Comment

As above. A have a good friend working there and I have visited as a 'tourist' who the government don't like letting in.

Most arrogant African government to deal with for visa issues - I have been to every mainland African country so I say that with some experience. I guess your company will sort it all out - but even so, your friends and families coming to visit will be a huge pain in the backside visa wise.

Very much 1% driving Porsche 4x4's whilst the other 99% struggle to get water and electricity. Driven from DRC to Namibia. Bread was cheap to live on, diesel 20p a litre and people extremely friendly and nice away from Luanda (not many tourists yet to ruin places). I camped everywhere, sometimes hotels or restaurants wanted $100 just to park in their carpark and sleep for the night. But always found somebody kind in the end.

Learn to speak Portuguese, make sure all of your expenses are covered and that your take home pay is worth it and then strap yourself in for a crazy ride! ;-)

You can do trips like this during your holidays...!!
                Angola, it's not like they said. - ADVrider

Comment

Working...
                X