• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hello again, fellow Loonies.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello again, fellow Loonies.

Just thought I'd say "Hi" to you all again as I've just brought my one year long, self-imposed exile from contracting to an end. New gig in the City of Londinium starts next week.

What did I do with my year off:
    - Learnt to play the guitar. I'd say I've done roughly 500 hours of practice. (This one was really, really on my "Things to do before you die" list.)
    - Read 70+ books - not one of which was computer related.
    - Did 3-4 10k runs per week. Knocked 10 minutes off my best time (now in low 40-odd minute mark - which is about as fast as I'll ever get!)

And as regards to getting back into the contracting game?

Well, most clients didn't give a hoot about the break.

Agents, however, were split 50/50. One half didn't really mind, as they actually bothered to read my c.v. and saw the 25 years+ experience. The other half, though, thought I must have entered a permanent vegetative state after being "unemployed" for more than two weeks.

All the best. Glad to be back on board.
    nomadd liked this post

Who are you again?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Who are you again?
      If I told you...
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

guitars. tell us more. what kind & how are the fingers?

Comment

Welcome back stranger!
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
            guitars. tell us more. what kind & how are the fingers?
            TBH, I went with the good and cheap enough to get you started: Yamaha 112v Pacifica and a Fender Mustang II v2. Swapped strings from 9s to 10s several times now between D'Addario and Elixir brands.

Fingers were bloody sore for first few weeks. Hands still sore as really pushing Legato style playing now at 180+ bpm.
            nomadd liked this post

Comment

This is exactly what i want to do - year off!

Well done you!

Comment

I don't know who you are but I like the cut of your jib.

Comment

I was just thinking the other day that we hadn't seen you (or references to your mum) on the forum for a while.

London drinkies next week if you're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                    - Did 3-4 10k runs per week. Knocked 10 minutes off my best time (now in low 40-odd minute mark - which is about as fast as I'll ever get!)
                    Was it 3 or 4?
                    latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Working...
                    X