• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Went to buy a house

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went to buy a house

New build in local desireable area - semi with 4 bedrooms.

Issues:

1) car won't fit into "garage" - well maybe 2 inches on each side of space, not willing to get aggro every day
    2) private road rather than public
    3) £1 mln spent for some kind of drainage system to mitigate flood risk ...
    4) no Virgin cables laid and since it's consevation area getting Sky dish might be issue
    5) they want it reserved because others put offers - £2k of which 650 won't be refunded

Private road is OK. I'd be more concerned about it being a semi. You never know what kind of squirrel botherer you'll get next door.
    England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Feck me. New build? Semi? What kind of chav are you?

If I were you I'd buy either:

1) a detached, old, characterful house that has been done up
      (if you must have a house)

or

2) a large, high up, one bed penthouse with a view
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Way to go AtW. Just as the bubble is about to burst you start looking at new sofas. :doom:
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Issues:

1) car won't fit into "garage" - well maybe 2 inches on each side of space, not willing to get aggro every day
          2) private road rather than public
          3) £1 mln spent for some kind of drainage system to mitigate flood risk ...
          4) no Virgin cables laid and since it's consevation area getting Sky dish might be issue
          5) they want it reserved because others put offers - £2k of which 650 won't be refunded

Someone tried suing Persimmons because their family car won't fit in the garage. It was two inches smaller than the distance between the wing mirrors. Normal story with a family on sofa looking forlorn. They saw the plans so it went no where. New houses are just not designed with the idea of putting cars in the garages.

Private roads can be a ball ache, particularly if it is a big estate. You can become liable for all sorts and the community will have to pay. Obviously not everyone will and a nightmare ensues.

No virgin cables? How about well shagged ones?

Deposit is normal. My mate went through that whole rigmerole. They were only building houses to order as they ran out of cash to finish the estate as well. Meant the estate looked half finished for years until it was all sold.

Why a new estate though? I can't stand them.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'll be ending my Sky subs in the next month because Sky is utter shat who broadcast shat loads of adverts! Farking hell, I sit down to eat me dinner only to watch 15 mins of adverts and when what I want to watch comes on I've finished my dinner? Farking bollacks! Suppose I could eat slower, but the adverts are a pish take at £35 per month subs?

As for Virgin Media, another load of farking shat! And that's coming from a tozzer who was a VM customer and since the days of Telewest 512/128 service back in 2001. Left VM during 2012 and have been a BT Infinity numbnut since, not one single outage unlike Virgin Media...good farking riddance to their indian servicedesk (inherited from NTL) and their shat support forums too!

So don't worry about point 4!

P.S. just my opinion.
            Last edited by Brian Potter; 28 March 2014, 17:33.
            "it's people like Jim, Jim MacDonald, who keep me going,"

tulip in your flowerbed

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Way to go AtW. Just as the bubble is about to burst you start looking at new sofas. :doom:
              What The Fatty Said...

They seemed to be keen to sell it ASAP - picked on that I am Russian even though I said I am not related to Abramovich

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

Feck me. New build? Semi? What kind of chav are you?

If I were you I'd buy either:

1) a detached, old, characterful house that has been done up
                (if you must have a house)

or

2) a large, high up, one bed penthouse with a view
                Foolishness. Many very expensive, lovely houses are not just semi but proper terraced. I'm thinking town-houses mainly.
                New Vs Old there are pros and cons to both but if you have specific location requirements this might make up the choice for you based on budget.

Private road isn't an issue and surely putting in flood prevention measures is a good thing?

Modern garages ARE often a problem though. They seem to be built on the premise nobody actually wants to use them for storing cars, many are tight even for something like a Fiesta. Someone on our road has a vintage Jag he keeps in his garage and it's excruciating watching him reverse it in.

Oh, Sky could be a problem. We lived on a street which was very strict and had all kinds of rules about nothing being visible on the roof-line, etc. We put in an application and were surprised to have it accepted, apparently other people had been rejected and those who had put them up without asking WERE caught (or probably reported by jealous neighbours).
                Last edited by d000hg; 28 March 2014, 17:35.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

4 bedroom semi-detached house for sale in Plot 1 Winterbourne Lane, Harborne, Birmingham, B17

One like this?

Comment

Don't tell me you were the sales lady ...

Comment

Working...
                    X