• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is BBC racist?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is BBC racist?

BBC could be sued for £1M over Jeremy Clarkson's Top Gear 'racism' | Mail Online

If she wins, will the damages be deducted from his salary?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTKjdS3ysI8
    Last edited by mos; 29 March 2014, 09:27.
    If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Professional offendees.

"Clarkson used his Twitter account today to respond to the allegation, and said: 'I'm not a racist. I am currently sitting in a bar with a man who lives quite near Wales.'"

Comment

No.

Jeremy Clarkson is because he thinks it's funny to racially insult people on air and in print.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

They'll just use Clarkson defense again...

Comment

I think the key word in that headline is "could".

Not that I can read the article anyway since my Macbook seems to have decided for itself that it's not going to let me open the Mail website. I'm not about to argue with it.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Rubbish. I watched it and it was a reference to the bridge being lopsided. I've never even heard that term, nor have my EDL mates.

The bridge also let through chinks of light: structurally it wasn't that great. Why do people have to find offence in everything? It seems a shame to try to pole-axe a popular TV show over this. She's just looking for a bung of taxpayers' money. But there dey go again, people havin a pop at the beeb. This makes me cross. I'm going to nip to the pub now.

Comment

How is 'slope' even racist? It's like suggesting that the word 'Paki' is racist. Um... one might want to look up the word racism in the dictionary.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                Rubbish. I watched it and it was a reference to the bridge being lopsided. I've never even heard that term, nor have my EDL mates.

The bridge also let through chinks of light: structurally it wasn't that great. Why do people have to find offence in everything? It seems a shame to try to pole-axe a popular TV show over this. She's just looking for a bung of taxpayers' money. But there dey go again, people havin a pop at the beeb. This makes me cross. I'm going to nip to the pub now.
                In the series finale, the three hosts - Richard Hammond, James May and Jeremy Clarkson - are tasked with building a bridge over the River Kwai in Thailand.
                After completion, Clarkson, 53, said: 'That is a proud moment, but there's a slope on it', as a man walked towards him on a makeshift bridge.
                Co-presenter Richard Hammond, 44, replied: 'You're right, it's definitely higher on that side.'

I hadn't heard the term either, but seems to me that it was used in the way alleged - they were not simply commenting on the angle of the bridge. I think Clarkson does overstep the mark, and has on this occasion. However, it's entirely possible that whoever reviewed/edited/approved the programme missed the reference, so it's not "The BBC", but a couple of twats going for a cheap gag.

You have EDL mates? Nice...

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                  How is 'slope' even racist? It's like suggesting that the word 'Paki' is racist. Um... one might want to look up the word racism in the dictionary.
                  An term, which by use/misuse has become derogatory is racist. I don't understand how you think paki isn't racist.

Comment

According to the list of racist terms "slope" (which I've never heard of) is of US/Australian origin. All the offence is in the mind of the viewer. "The bridge has a slope on it" is naturalistic, not forced. OTOH, it probably was deliberate - impossible to prove though.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X