• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bloody BCS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloody BCS

Looking at a new contract which needs dates of exams for any certificates I'm declaring.

Goes into the BCS records area which fails to show my most important ISEB certificate, so it looks like I'm lying on my CV.

Fortunately I have the original certificate but I need to get this sorted so I'm not a happy bunny.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Amusing that the BCS manages to send out a paper certificate but fails miserably at updating its computerised records, no?

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Looking at a new contract which needs dates of exams for any certificates I'm declaring.
      Exams?

Sounds like skool...

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Amusing that the BCS manages to send out a paper certificate but fails miserably at updating its computerised records, no?
        Has anyone in the BCS used an actual computer? I thought they were far more on the theoretical side.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Has anyone in the BCS used an actual computer? I thought they were far more on the theoretical side into trying to impress you with plummy accents and double barrelled names.
          FTFY.

That was my experience anyway, and back when we were doing stuff on minis they were still stuck solidly in the mainframe era.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            Has anyone in the BCS used an actual computer? I thought they were far more on the theoretical side.
            They probably have. But then they'd be clear to remind you that they mean a proper computer, not a micro-computer as used by generic plebs. Then they may then tempt you into an argument as to whether a maxed-out spec new Mac Pro might even be classified as a modern mini-computer if attached to sufficient resources.

All of the above is fantasy really. They wouldn't talk to you unless you had brown leather elbow patches, cords and open toed sandals with socks.

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
              They probably have. But then they'd be clear to remind you that they mean a proper computer, not a micro-computer as used by generic plebs. Then they may then tempt you into an argument as to whether a maxed-out spec new Mac Pro might even be classified as a modern mini-computer if attached to sufficient resources.

All of the above is fantasy really. They wouldn't talk to you unless you had brown leather elbow patches, cords and open toed sandals with socks.
              Actually, that's all a bit out-dated.

The BCS is pretty good with Special Interest Groups, webinars and interesting and relevant events these days.

It's their record keeping that's cack.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Actually, that's all a bit out-dated.

The BCS is pretty good with Special Interest Groups, webinars and interesting and relevant events these days.

It's their record keeping that's cack.
                It was a flippant comment really... I actually have quite a few connections in the BCS having worked with them on a number of things. The old beardie-types were essentially hounded out a few years ago when The British Computer Society, the member institution with quite lofty ideals for progressing membership standards and advancing the trade as a whole, became the BCS, a training institution that prioritises hawking courses over their membership. The SIGs and local chapters are all still providing value as volunteer driven organisations that are drifting further away from the core BCS.

Comment

My experiences are probably dated, and I hardly meet any BCS types any more since moving out of software dev, but almost all of the few people I worked with who had a BCS affiliation of any kind were completely pedantic useless fookwits.
                  So much so that when I became a manager, I binned any CVs with BCS on them.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

yes I find a lot of it is great theory

and then the real world comes along and kicks it all into touch

Comment

Working...
                    X