• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Democracy arrives in Iraq

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Democracy arrives in Iraq

Looks like Democracy has now arrived in Iraq, everybody in Iraq is fed up of the Iraqi politicans opulent lifestyles and constant vacationing out of the country hiding from the people during an ongoing crises ... hang on, does this sound familiar ???

NAJAF, Iraq (Reuters) - Iraq's top Shi'ite cleric, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, chastised his country's politicians on Thursday for travelling abroad too often and said they should spend more time at home improving public services.

"Officials travelling at a time when the Iraqi people urgently need them is improper," a source in the office of the reclusive cleric quoted him as saying.

Many Iraqi politicians, some of whom returned to the Arab country after the U.S.-led invasion in 2003 toppled Saddam Hussein, spend time abroad, either on official business or personal visits to expatriate families.

Iraqis, fed up of violence, electricity shortages and a lack of clean water, often accuse politicians of ignoring their difficulties and of living a life of luxury behind well-guarded walls.

"His Eminence Sistani has insisted that ministers and members of parliament do not travel abroad and instead get in touch with the people," the source said.

Sistani is seen as an important moderating voice in Iraq, where sectarian violence has raised fears of civil war between majority Shi'ites and Sunnis.

And folks theres more good news from Iraq .. not only democracy but stabilty too !

On a day when three car bombs and two roadside bombs killed four people and wounded 24 in the capital, General John Abizaid told reporters: "I think there has been great progress on the security front in Baghdad recently. We are very optimistic that the situation will stabilise."

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
      "I think there has been great progress on the security front in Baghdad recently. We are very optimistic that the situation will stabilise."[/I]
      It has stabalised to
      Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
      three car bombs and two roadside bombs killed four people and wounded 24[/I]
      Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Hey steady there Mrs Goof, dammit youre just supposed to read the Spin not the content !!!

I guess yould have left Saddam in power huh ???

Comment

sorry, now to finish that ironing
          Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

OK perhaps I knee jerked there, just been a bit techy recently, but there are genuine grounds for optimism

Khalilzad said that in July Baghdad experienced "a 10 percent increase over the already high monthly average" of violent incidents, leaving 2,100 people dead.

Comment

Working...
            X