• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fermat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fermat

For one of the questions on my son's number theory assignment, he's invoked Fermat's Last Theorem in the proof. I couldn't have done that when I was at university - it hadn't been proved then!
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    For one of the questions on my son's number theory assignment, he's invoked Fermat's Last Theorem in the proof. I couldn't have done that when I was at university - it hadn't been proved then!
    My son used that in his 5 times table last week at primary school, it's common place now. His faster than light equation got him a smiley face on the class rainbow.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

What was the question, out of interest?

Seems more likely that a number theory assignment would use Fermat's Little Theorem. Are you sure that wasn't what he was talking about?
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I couldn't have done that when I was at university - it hadn't been proved then!
        Prior to Fermat's Last Theorem being proved, if you did some work that relied on Fermat's Last Theorem being true, you put a note to that effect in your work. That's why it was such a big deal when Fermat's Last Theorem was finally proved: it meant that all the other work out there which relied on it was validated.

Comment

I'm old
          FTFY
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

When I was a kid interested in science, black holes were a theory and there was (I think) one suspected one, based on reading Brief History of Time. Now, I know a Phd student who is cataloguing hundreds if not thousands of the things.

Equally, exponential inflation models were pretty avant garde.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              When I was a kid interested in science, black holes were a theory and there was (I think) one suspected one, based on reading Brief History of Time. Now, I know a Phd student who is cataloguing hundreds if not thousands of the things.

When I was in the 6th Form a teacher cut out a piece from New Scientist and put it on the notice board, which announced that a charge of 1/3ev had been measured - the first experimental confirmation of the existence of quarks.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

It's a shame that your interest in science didn't lead you to understand it more.
                Everything in science is a theory.
                Induction allows us to make generalisations but we can never be sure they won't be falsified.
                The fact that we can't unify small and large-scale physics tells us that some or all parts of our fundamental understanding are incomplete or wrong.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  When I was in the 6th Form a teacher cut out a piece from New Scientist and put it on the notice board, which announced that a charge of 1/3ev had been measured - the first experimental confirmation of the existence of quarks.
                  FTFY. But I'm surprised, I thought a naked quark charge was not possible to detect.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    What was the question, out of interest?

Seems more likely that a number theory assignment would use Fermat's Little Theorem. Are you sure that wasn't what he was talking about?
                    I'll ask him when I get home - but it was definitely
                    x^n + y^n = z^n has no integer solutions for n>2.

What was really important about the proof of Fermat's last theorem, is that it was proved as part of wider conjecture (Taniyama–Shimura-Weil conjecture) that had been widely assumed to be true, and unified two disparate parts of mathematics - number theory (elliptic curves) and algebraic geometry (modular forms).

The theorem fell out of that proof as a corollary.

Comment

Working...
                    X