• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ready to walk....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ready to walk....

Having to use every bit of my contractor experience and resilience to not talk myself out of a job today. I am feeling blind rage after weeks of stupidity by current ‘management' and a particularly annoying email sent on Sunday. Latching onto ‘potential’ dates as set in stone despite endless information as to how the project is progressing and warnings not to until all variables are tied down. This is based on pressure from their seniors to implement by certain dates regardless of the realities of doing so and a complete inability to pass on any change in delivery.
    This PM lark can be grim but I won't give them the satisfaction, I am now using it to test my resilience and see how stubborn I can be.
    Maybe I am not cut out for this contracting lark...

Keep calm and carry on invoicing.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Suity you used the wrong login again!

Chin up, they try it all the time. Just keep your powder dry and your emails safe.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Yep, I was comparing stories with a fellow contractor yesterday. Its easy to be drawn into the pressure bubble whilst in a contract with loony management who do not know the detail. I am 3 weeks away from the end of mine.

Just top up the warchest and check out the weather outside

Comment

cheers all, that's already helping, same advice I have given on here a few time, amazing how it can get to you !
          Walked away from my email and went for a coffee. Too expensive to just walk but I am starting looking now, all personal files sent home, CV being updated, job search starts tonight...

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
            cheers all, that's already helping, same advice I have given on here a few time, amazing how it can get to you !
            Walked away from my email and went for a coffee. Too expensive to just walk but I am starting looking now, all personal files sent home, CV being updated, job search starts tonight...
            Also looking. A call last week did it for me "yes, we found the certificate on our server is not working/expired/etc blocking some connection. we are getting it fix now. But your team don't seam to know how this interface should work as they have been asking a lot of questions. WE HAVE BEEN ASKING A LOT OF QUESTIONS BECAUSE NOTHING IS WORKING ON YOUR SIDE! IF IT WAS WORKING WE WOULD NOT BE ASKING." I went on mute for the rest of the call.

Jobserve
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
              Having to use every bit of my contractor experience and resilience to not talk myself out of a job today. I am feeling blind rage after weeks of stupidity by current ‘management' and a particularly annoying email sent on Sunday. Latching onto ‘potential’ dates as set in stone despite endless information as to how the project is progressing and warnings not to until all variables are tied down. This is based on pressure from their seniors to implement by certain dates regardless of the realities of doing so and a complete inability to pass on any change in delivery.
              This PM lark can be grim but I won't give them the satisfaction, I am now using it to test my resilience and see how stubborn I can be.
              Maybe I am not cut out for this contracting lark...
              Walk outside and take a breath then go back in.
              If it carries on, go out tonight to the pub and find some small fella and give him a good smack in the mouth.
              Alternatively insult Suity on CUK. Always works for me.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                Also looking. A call last week did it for me "yes, we found the certificate on our server is not working/expired/etc blocking some connection. we are getting it fix now. But your team don't seam to know how this interface should work as they have been asking a lot of questions. WE HAVE BEEN ASKING A LOT OF QUESTIONS BECAUSE NOTHING IS WORKING ON YOUR SIDE! IF IT WAS WORKING WE WOULD NOT BE ASKING." I went on mute for the rest of the call.

Jobserve
                feel your pain, apparently I'm the only one who has done anything on the project we just talked about. I have got 15 countries on for the core data (quite a lot of manipulation) , the others trusted with getting a list of users seem to have spent the week attending on site training with the users but failed to get a list.

They then said - oh when will it be live, to which I replied my stuff will be loaded in QA tomorrow, but none of your users will have access because you haven't asked for it. I think the PM was wetting herself.

We are having a meeting this week to discuss the same thing they have been talking about for weeks but not achieving it

upshot I'm now doing all the data, <deity> I hate being vaguely competent
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Walk outside and take a breath then go back in.
                  If it carries on, go out tonight to the pub and find some small fella and give him a good smack in the mouth.
                  Alternatively insult Suity on CUK. Always works for me.
                  This. Have had this in current gig, try to take yourself out of the heat for a while. Get some fresh air, go for a walk/run/pint/coffee/crystal meth.

Go back in, be professional, rise above it and play the bigger person, it's hard but you'll be glad you did.

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

MOST impressed with the great advice yesterday, talking me down off the bridge. Calmed down and today is 'another day'. Time to go into my default survival or 'fletch' mode (see porridge).

Comment

Working...
                    X