• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Barnyard vol. CCXXII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Barnyard vol. CCXXII

Foggy out
    • Spherical Concentric Layer Cake Tutorial - "This tutorial will show you the most basic and least equipment-heavy way of baking the concentric layer cake as seen in both the Earth cake and Jupiter cake. You can stop at half way and just make a hemisphere cake, or make two hemispheres and join them into one..." Here's the Jupiter cake by way of example:

• The Terrible Tragedy of the Healthy Eater - Speaking of cake: "You learn that.. the last 10,000 years of human development has been one big societal and nutritional cock-up and wheat is entirely to blame. What we all need to do is eat like cave-people... Soon you learn that even vegetables are trying to kill you."

• The Murders at the Lake - "In 1982 a brutal triple homicide shook the city of Waco and soon became one of the most confounding criminal cases in Texas history—one that still haunts the many people who have tried to solve it."

• A good trip - "Researchers are giving psychedelics to cancer patients to help alleviate their despair — and it's working." An example of the kind of research that couldn't be carried out for years because of the moral panic caused by the likes of Timothy Leary in Sixties America.

• A Vortex of Fire. Bonus: Tumbleweedocalypse. - If you've ever wondered what happens when a controlled burn of vegetation turns into a fiery vortex and sucks in hundreds of tumbleweeds, it's this:

• Stigmatypie: 19th-Century Dot Matrix Printing - "Tonight I found an odd bitmappy portrait of Gutenburg (top) in a fold-out spread of Harpel’s Typograph, a type specimen from 1870. “What is a stigmatypie?”, I wondered. Some cursory research reveals it was a pioneering, but seldom used, technique for producing halftone images with very small type. It was developed around 1867 by Carl Fasol of Vienna." Letterpress printing has been one of my hobbies since I was about twelve, and I don't remember ever hearing of this technique before.

• Welsh speakers are unwelcoming - "Have heard the one about the English tourist entering a Welsh pub, only for the unwelcoming locals to switch immediately from English to the native gibberish, presumably for the sole purpose of excluding the newcomer?... Not only does it not happen, it wouldn’t make sense even if it ever did." Turns out you're just paranoid, though of course that doesn't mean the Welsh aren't out to get you.

• The Electronic Holy War - It seems that, with chess long conceded, computers may now be getting close to championship level in Go: "Last March... a computer program named Crazy Stone defeated Yoshio Ishida, a professional Go player and a five-time Japanese champion... The victory was not quite a Deep Blue moment; Crazy Stone was given a small handicap, and Ishida is no longer in his prime. But it was an impressive feat."

• Coffee and its Effects on Feature Creep - Roy Rapaport started out making a bot that gathered coffee orders from his company's IRC channel. He ended up with a banking system: "In hindsight, it was probably right around the time that I implemented debt tracking into Caffeinator that I should have taken a break from enhancing it and reconsidered whether feature creep had gone way too far."

• Shakespeare: Three Panel Plays - "No time to read all of Shakespeare's plays, but still want to know what happens in them? I've got you covered." Mya Gosling brings you The Bard in Brief:

Happy invoicing!

Mya Gosling is fab
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Another one for contention:

The Incredible Story Of Marion Stokes, Who Single-Handedly Taped 35 Years Of TV News | Fast Company | Business + Innovation
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Oh my poor poor ears.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Excellent!

Comment

Working...
          X