• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Payment from Retained Earnings?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Payment from Retained Earnings?

Hi Folks,
    thought I'd find this easily but perhaps I'm missing something obvious.

My limited has some retained earnings from previous years. Now I'd like to take that money out of the business. Is this just like a dividend? That would make sense to me as I guess it's already been taxed and is the residual left from previous profits less dividends.

Thanks,
    GK

It can either be a dividend, a payment of salary or a loan. If you're literally just wanting to make a payment of profits to the shareholders then yes, it would be a dividend.

Make sure you prepare the necessary paperwork (dividend voucher and declaration) and pay in accordance to the shares held by each shareholder.

If you're paying now, also consider whether it may be better from a tax point of view to wait until the new tax year (starting 06/04/2014).
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

It would be a dividend.

Your company will have paid corporation tax on the profits before distributed, however there may be further tax to pay on the dividend if you are a higher rate tax payer.

Hope this helps!
      Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
        It would be a dividend.
        Assuming that the OP is a shareholder and pays the money out according to the shareholding percentages. Failing that, it could be a loan or a salary payment.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by genjokoan View Post
          Hi Folks,
          thought I'd find this easily but perhaps I'm missing something obvious.

My limited has some retained earnings from previous years. Now I'd like to take that money out of the business. Is this just like a dividend? That would make sense to me as I guess it's already been taxed and is the residual left from previous profits less dividends.

Thanks,
          GK
          That's correct.

Make sure you consider whether higher rate tax will be due on the dividends. Note that the new tax year begins this Sunday and so you may wish to consider the timing of the dividend with this in mind.

I hope this helps.

Martin

Comment

Thanks!

Awesome thanks everyone!

Comment

Working...
            X