• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should she stay, or should she go now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should she stay, or should she go now?

BBC News - Last-ditch bid to keep student Yashika Bageerathi in UK

so why can't we deport her to Mauritius?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

If she goes there will be trouble
    Last edited by alluvial; 31 March 2014, 15:08.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      so why can't we deport her to Mauritius?
      Because she has nowhere to go and no-one to help her when she gets there. The rest of her family will remain in the UK while they await the result of their deportation hearing, but because of her age, she is dealt with separately.

Potentially, we could end up letting the rest of the family stay here, while deporting her.

At least wait until the family has all been judged and deport them together, rather than separating the family at this stage.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Thar you go.

And tomorrow we'll hear about some illegal just released from prison after having served their sentence for some heinous crime and we'll be told they can't be deported owing to their right to a family life.

Comment

It's a bloody mess.

She came here in 2011 so basically immigration has waited until now to chuck her out because she isn't a child.

As she isn't a criminal and as we keep criminal 15-21 year olds in the UK because of their 'uman rights I don't see a problem in keeping her.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            It's a bloody mess.

She came here in 2011 so basically immigration has waited until now to chuck her out because she isn't a child.

As she isn't a criminal and as we keep criminal 15-21 year olds in the UK because of their 'uman rights I don't see a problem in keeping her.
            It does seem rather vindictive to wait this long but then not let her finish her A levels.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

all good points.

Personally I think we have bigger fish to fry.

We should of course put the entire family on the plane back to the safe country of Mauritius in 2011.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It does seem to be a rather tenuous claim for asylum - an abusive relative.
                Mauritius is not known for its overly oppressive political system, AFAIK.
                They shouldn't have been given leave to remain in 2011 - it is now cruel to just deport the one member of the family.

Still she comes from an ethnic minority that traditionally works hard and prospers in the UK, so it seems a bit perverse to deport someone like that rather than the various terrorists and criminals we have seen fit to allow in
                Last edited by sasguru; 31 March 2014, 15:28.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  It does seem rather vindictive to wait this long but then not let her finish her A levels.
                  But then she will get 4 A*s and some Russell Group uni will want her.

Then there will be an outcry because she is sooooo clever......

Basically the ConDems have f**ked up.

Nu Labour had to back down on deporting a couple of Vietnamese kids when they got into power. The parents hadn't bothered getting them British Citizenship but had got their own thinking it covered their children, so when the kids turned 19 they were threatened with being chucked out.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Sorry I can't see the problem here. It's a failed claim and process has been followed. The MP's should be calling for her to be allowed to wait until her family has had their claim dealt with and they can all go. I would say that is fair all round. I can't see for one minute why she shouldn't be deported at sometime or other though. We can't not deport people just because they have some friends and their head teacher likes them.

I have to wonder why her family have not decided to just go back with her. It's highly likely it will fail so they are off anyway so why not just accept it and take her home with them. No one seems to be pointing the finger at her family that are letting her go alone.

No reason why they couldn't delay it but I can't see why she shouldn't go.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X