• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rigging at the speed of light

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rigging at the speed of light

"US stock market is rigged by high-speed traders, says Michael Lewis"

Author of The Big Short says in his latest book that high-frequency trading is costing other investors billions of dollars

"The US stock market is rigged in favour of high-speed electronic trading firms, which use their advantages to extract billions from investors, according to the acclaimed author Michael Lewis.

In his new book Flash Boys: A Wall Street Revolt, Lewis says that firms are using their speed advantage to profit at the expense of other market participants to the tune of tens of billions of dollars.

"They are able to identify your desire to buy shares in Microsoft and buy them in front of you and sell them back to you at a higher price," Lewis, whose book is available on Monday, said on the television program 60 Minutes on Sunday.

"This speed advantage that the faster traders have is milliseconds, some of it is fractions of milliseconds," said Lewis, whose books include The Big Short and Moneyball.

High-frequency trading (HFT) is a practice carried out by many banks and proprietary trading firms using sophisticated computer programs to send thousands of orders into the market in an instant, executing a small portion of them when opportunities arise to capitalise on price imbalances, or to make markets. HFT makes up more than half of all US trading volume.

The trading methods and technology that make HFT possible are all legal, and the stock exchanges HFT firms trade on are highly regulated. "

Source: US stock market is rigged by high-speed traders, says Michael Lewis | Business | theguardian.com

AtW's comment - super fast buying or super fast selling is ok, what's not ok is to do both many times over in order to gain advantage - this results in manipulation of market as with leverage it shifts where people with HFT want it to be, hence a transaction tax should be levied to stop peopel taking quick penny profits multiplies by billions of transactions.

AtW in "anti-shorting since before it was cool" mode.

Tax a private market?!
    How about just not trading in a market if you don't like it's rules, and trading on another instead?
    Amazing what one can achieve with a little more thought and a little less violent impulse

Comment

This is a significant concern, what should my portfolio (~10% p/a return) actually be earning ????
      Russia ETF is up 5% in a month - dosverdanya comrade....

Comment

Amazon shipped the book out to me yesterday, so I should have it later. Looking forward to it. I enjoyed Liars Poker and The Big Short.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
          Tax a private market?!
          OMG, we can't have that!!!

Slap 110% CGT (yes you pay more than you gained) on such short term "deals".

Use it to fund free higher education courses for HFT dudes who will lose their jobs - they do deserve to get a chance to do something useful in their lifes.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            OMG, we can't have that!!!
            The point is that it's entirely voluntary, yet you complain that you don't like it and we should do something to change it. That's called bullying.

Comment

The point is that it's entirely voluntary, yet you complain that you don't like it and we should do something to change it. That's called bullying.
              Those markets are regulated, it's not "can do what I want there and if you don't like it then don't join it".

Those HFT can do what they want in privacy of their home playing monopoly game where being monopoly is not only allowed but also strongly encouraged.

That market isn't private actually, it's very much public.

Comment

Those markets are regulated, it's not "can do what I want there and if you don't like it then don't join it".

Those HFT can do what they want in privacy of their home playing monopoly game where being monopoly is not only allowed but also strongly encouraged.

That market isn't private actually, it's very much public.
                'That' market is made up of public AND private exchanges. But even then, publicly listed != publicly owned.
                Private individuals own the exchanges, and private individuals freely choose to trade or not on any particular market.
                Regulation is by the by. Our children are regulated - we are obliged to register their births just like we may be obliged to register ownership of cattle. That doesn't mean that our children are publicly owned.

I know we're no arguing about the difference between public/private - I just don't understand where the determination to interfere in other people's business comes from? Don't you have anything better to do?

Comment

"They are able to identify your desire to buy shares in Microsoft and buy them in front of you and sell them back to you at a higher price,"
                  How does that work?
                  When I buy some shares I execute my order and it goes through immediately. Nobody knows about it until it reaches the stock exchange, and at that time purchase is instant.

Comment

'That' market is made up of public AND private exchanges.
                    Private exchange (like LSE) can't do what it wants - there is regulation in place and HFT is one of the new things that should be made illegal or impractical (via CGT being over 100%).

Comment

Working...
                    X