• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Giving blood

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving blood

Eventually decided to do something charitable. I have an appointment this morning at the hospital to donate my first pint of blood. I hope it's not more than a thimble full.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Eventually decided to do something charitable. I have an appointment this morning at the hospital to donate my first pint of blood. I hope it's not more than a thimble full.
    I've alerted the National Blood Service.

Comment

Yeh. Tony Handcock's back.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Yeh. Tony Handcock's back.
        Thought it was his arm?

Comment

Just as I saw this thread, some woman appeared behind me asking if i'd like to give any blood while onsite at client co.

Freaky.
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Just like to say the suppose experience of the person is no relation to how good they are in getting blood out of your vein.

I ended up with a trainee once who was proud to tell me I was her first patient. I burst out laughing while the person who was monitoring her was horrified.

She did a very good job. I had no pain and no excess bleeding once she took the needle out.

The next time I went I got some guy who had a badge saying he was the senior nurse. He missed my vein, dug around for a few minutes to get the needle in and hurt me. After the needle came out I bleed for a bit and had a bruise.

I have very good veins and he was the first person who ever missed them.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Giving blood is always a good thing and takes so little time up, particularly if you can find one of the mobile units that land somewhere near work.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Giving blood is always a good thing and takes so little time up, particularly if you can find one of the mobile units that land somewhere near work.
                It is, but has become a right PITA round here. I always used to just rock up, prepared to wait, and give my armful.

Last time they phoned me to make an appointment. OK, I thought, I'll give it a go. So having phoned me, they then tell me there are no appointments. No worries, says I, I'll just turn up, so I did.

"I'm sorry, we're full"
                "I don't mind waiting"
                "We're full -you can't give blood today - would you like to make an appointment for next time?"
                "Oh, OK"
                "Sorry - next time is fully booked, how about the time after?"

We're now 3 months away and I haven't got a clue what I'm doing.

Given that they email me almost weekly to tell me how low stocks are, and constantly phone, you'd think they'd manage to accommodate you when you do turn up.

I've been giving blood for nearly 30 years, never had this much hassle.

Comment

It was an April fools anyway. No fooker is getting my amber nectar.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    It was an April fools anyway. No fooker is getting my amber nectar.
                    <collective sigh of relief>
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X