• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there a section here for recommending upskilling courses?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a section here for recommending upskilling courses?

I've got 10 years testing experience contracting.
    Most of it is in financials. (banks, insurance etc.)

However - none of it is in investment banking.

I would like to get into investment banking - but its a bit of a closed shop unless you have experience in investment banking.
    Saying that - i don't think i'm too far away given that most of my experience is in financials.

Is there any good course i could do that might provide me with the gateway into investment banking?

Some IT cross over - or ideally if there was one that was specific to testing?

Basically a recognized course that gets me up to speed with all the investment lingo such as derivatives, trade lifecycle etc.

Forget it

Originally posted by Adecco View Post
    I've got 10 years testing experience contracting.
    Most of it is in financials. (banks, insurance etc.)

However - none of it is in investment banking.

I would like to get into investment banking - but its a bit of a closed shop unless you have experience in investment banking.
    Saying that - i don't think i'm too far away given that most of my experience is in financials.

Is there any good course i could do that might provide me with the gateway into investment banking?

Some IT cross over - or ideally if there was one that was specific to testing?

Basically a recognized course that gets me up to speed with all the investment lingo such as derivatives, trade lifecycle etc.
    Your names not down, your not getting in.

you dont get it !!, how do I put this, your not from the right part of town or went to a known school, you sir are a pleb, why would they let you in based on the mear fact of 'experience'

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
      Your names not down, your not getting in.

you dont get it !!, how do I put this, your not from the right part of town or went to a known school, you sir are a pleb, why would they let you in based on the mear fact of 'experience'
      In almost nonsensical English?

Comment

It's a closed shop unless you have experience. A course will not get you experience so could kinda surmise this isn't going to help.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 1 April 2014, 16:53.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You need a lucky break.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I was invited to a second stage interview with JPMorgan Chase last week but it turned out to be permanent and based in Scotland so I withdrew my application at that point. However, for permanent staff at least, they were willing to consider me with no financial experience and in the first stage telephone interview they said they'd put me on a course to teach me what all these exotic derivatives are. Not sure what their attitude to contractors was though.

Also that was direct---not through an agency---so maybe they had a more enlightened view.

Comment

Just happen to have had an email from an agent with this line in it:

Engineering background is important, NO banking developers
              I never realised banking developers were meant to have some kind of bad rep or something.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                In almost nonsensical English?
                It's tarbera, what do you expect. I am still sitting here waiting for the grammar police to come and tear him/her a new one for that post....

Am loving the 'you are a pleb' line when there are not one but two your/you're disasters
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cenobite View Post
                  Just happen to have had an email from an agent with this line in it:

I never realised banking developers were meant to have some kind of bad rep or something.
                  I think it's where the Y2K code reading monkeys went after it was realised that Y2K was a 'threat' dreamt up by consultancies and the industry realised they had 500% more IT experts than before

But seriously, it was probably an agent on a revenge trip who had been locked out of his bank for weeks at a time last year.

Comment

I was at a nuclear station y2k time, all was tested nothing failed. Except end of feb on site swipe in system got it wrong due to some vba bug and we didn't know who was or wasn't onsite.

Minor stink...

Comment

Working...
                    X