• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Cloud

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cloud

How long do you think it will be before one can upload one's consciousness, memories and personality to the cloud so that it continues to exist after you die? For someone like me whose work is almost entirely digital it would be perfectly feasible to keep on working indefinitely, I'd have access to most of the stuff I care about, have access to those I love via skype and I could even continue to interact with music software and other stuff for recreation. I could basically live forever.

I think that would be the most awesome invention ever.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

there is a Russian Billionaire working on that. was on the TV 'so you want to be a billionaire' (the premise was that most Billionaires are accidental and they just wanted to do something wonderful).
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It's simpler for some people than others.

Comment

Oh, and

Have you thought about memory boxes or something along those lines?

Comment

I was thinking about this a few years back when I was bored and considering writing a novel to see if I was good or tulip.

What if you get uploaded to the cloud, but unbeknown to everyone else it's like having died and gone to hell? Like if something went wrong and you got forgotten about somewhere? Someone unplugs you from the rest of the internet and there's bugs in your virtual existence which makes it tortuous, forever, and no one can hear you?

In some respects our own mortality could be viewed as the ultimate safety-net.

Thought it would make a good 'outer limits' episode.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Oh, and

Have you thought about memory boxes or something along those lines?
            Yes and making a few videos like how to charge rechargeable batteries and change lenses on the camera and so on
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              Yes and making a few videos like how to charge rechargeable batteries and change lenses on the camera and so on
              Don't forget a thermostat flowchart.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                And how to bleed your radiators.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  I've given up.fighting that battle.....

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    I've given up.fighting that battle.....
                    Wise man.

Re original question:

How long before you can download a data file into a human brain. The answer is probably the same.

But Mrs OG is a cognitive neuroscientist, so I'll get an opinion, which will be 'Don't be so stupid you ignorant fool.'

Comment

Working...
                    X