• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Graduates with degrees in computer science had the highest unemployment rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graduates with degrees in computer science had the highest unemployment rate

http://education.guardian.co.uk/stud...=ticker-103704

Monday August 14, 2006

The number of graduates who failed to find work after leaving university rose last year, according to figures released today.

Graduates with degrees in computer science had the highest unemployment rate, with nearly 11% thought to be not working or studying.

And this ladies and gentleman is what happens when you fill "skill gaps" with cheap overseas labour on work permits. Your children end up on the dole.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Probably also something to do with the fact that the only degree anybody wanted to do about 5-10 years ago was Computer Science and so many people were churned out with them the degree lost it's value.

Also the vast majority of us who did engineering degrees also ended up working in IT because the engineering industry is tulipe in this country (Every qualified engineer I know is working in IT atm).

Add this to the fact that everybody and thier dog is still being told that they can walk into a £40k a year job if they do 2 bit computing schools basic IT award that means jack tulipe and we have hundreds of people trying to get into the ndustry that are really not capable of doing it (but are being hired anyway by tulipe HR departments)

I think blaming this one on purely immigration is not going to be completely realistic...

Comment

No you are wrong...
      It was the dotcom era that determined so many to "go for IT" just for the money. Now the market demands some experience and 11% on the bench seems to me quite a low number. And btw they really can find jobs if they want, the problem is that each newbie wants that 300/day contract...

A friend of mine used to say about all this new "go for IT" uni stuff : "Never before, so many know so little about so much..."

HTH
      The rest is silence...

Comment

Originally posted by Viktor
        No you are wrong...
        It was the dotcom era that determined so many to "go for IT" just for the money. Now the market demands some experience and 11% on the bench seems to me quite a low number. And btw they really can find jobs if they want, the problem is that each newbie wants that 300/day contract...

A friend of mine used to say about all this new "go for IT" uni stuff : "Never before, so many know so little about so much..."

HTH
        How can it be the dotcom era when that was at least 6 yrs ago and these are graduates that graduated last year FFS?

We have the government banging on about IT skills shortages, issue millions of work permits to Indian graduates and ours have the highest unemployment of any degree subject?

Vote Labour - Vote your future to India.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
          How can it be the dotcom era when that was at least 6 yrs ago and these are graduates that graduated last year FFS?

That is because the market is saturated by people who got thier degrees in the dot com era. Why hire a newbie out of uni when you can hire somebody with 5 years exp and the same degree for the same money ?

Comment

If there are so many people floating around with 5 years experience, why does the government issue unlimited work permits for IT grads from India due to the "paralysing IT skills shortage"?

If you can't see what's happening here, you really are blind.

Comment

In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king.
              First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

because the government doesn't know its arse from its elbow. Not to mention I haven't seen that many Indians coming over here to take permenant jobs, most of the ones I have met go into contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                  If there are so many people floating around with 5 years experience, why does the government issue unlimited work permits for IT grads from India due to the "paralysing IT skills shortage"?
                  Donations / loans to party funds?
                  Blair, you cannot reach me now,
                  No matter how you try,
                  Goodbye cruel Labour,
                  Your end is nigh.

International Talk Like a Pirate Day

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X